View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Location, location, location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKanger View Post
Roger,
It's a matter of perspective. For instance, someone saying they are from Belgium gets a person infinitely closer, than saying you are from the southern half of a whole continent. Unless the nearest town or county is given, location is of little value.
I presume this is in reference to my location listing as "South Australia".

South Australia is indeed a state - albeit a rather large one when compared with states in the US or countries in Europe (about 3/4 the size of South Africa) but it is nonetheless a state. It has just one city with a population of over 1 million (Adelaide) and a few with more than 30,000. We have rather boring names for states in Oz (but some are descriptive) eg. Western Australia and Victoria, between which you will find South Australia. Most of the area is virtually uninhabited and the majority of its inhabitants will be found huddled around the eastern coast of the state (with a few exceptions) so if an Australian member were to see this location they could make a reasonable assumption where I might be situated.

When members, for instance, list their location as "Australia" it is here that difficulties may arise. It would be similar to someone listing "USA" and wondering if there might be someone close by from whom to seek help.

Roger - Adelaide, South Australia