View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Copper

Default Re: UNKNOWN ENGRAVER ? can you help?

Thank you Roger.

The Gunsmith(s) were Leonard Mews (stock & checkering) from Appleton, WI., and Norbert "Nubs" Fashingbauer (metal work) from Lac Du Flambau, WI.

It was common for Leonard to send guns to Nubs for the custom metal work (tang safety - sights - magazine modifications, etc.) as well as other gunsmiths around the US., i.e., PO Ackley, McFarland, PJ Oheara, etc.

It is my opinion that the engraving was likely done in the US because I am not aware of Leonard or Nubs sending any of their projects outside the US. I have many examples of them sending actions, barrels, etc. to other gunsmiths around the country, coast-to-coast, as the smiths seemed to network with each other during the 50's and 60's.

I have scanned the work thoroughly with a magnifying glass looking for some obscure initials or "style" that might be unique to a specific engraver but have fallen short of a definite answer.

I am going to guess Max E. Bruehl of Chicago. (see page 20 Gun Engraving Review by E. C. Prudhomme)

I reference the series of "Fat E's" on the front of the trigger-guard (the floor-plate release) on some of Max Bruehl's work, albeit I have not seen very many examples of his work. [see below] The Oak Leaves on the referenced work by Max Bruehl are also similar.

I would ask that if others have examples of this specific feature at this location, please chime in.

Any other suggestions on where I might look for a signature or other distinctive features would be appreciated.

Thanks