View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Steel

Default Re: ---Paul's Gold Inlay Tutorial Discussion---

Hello all

I really want to achieve some progress on the practice of my inlaying, I am resigned to the fact I will not be engraving the ruger, but I would like to have at least started the other inlaying practice pieces.

Today I made up a larger lettering plate, This is what I would like to have on the back strap of ruger, the letters are about 5-6 mm high in a bold copperplate lettering using the acetone transfer method.

I was not sure how to go about removing the metal, but I started with a fine flat and and engraved the sterif ? lines then went around the boarders with a detailing engraver.

Then the centre metal was removed with a small flat, the edges were also tidied up.

next went on to under cut all the edges with the small flat graver.

The 1mm copper wire was punched in by hand, I found that the copper hardened too quick when using the airgraver on this thicker wire, where as one good hit with the hammer would set it in better, I dont think you would have this problem with gold.

I lifted the edges when joining the wires to give a better bond.

The letter was filed back with a fine diamond file.

the final result.

I have only inlayed the first letter, but I already see it was a lot easier exercise than the smaller letters I have been practicing on. I will finish the other letters when time permits and engrave a border to highlight them but this may be after the deadline.
Before that ends I would like practice inlaying a solid area in the shape of the ruger logo.

Till next Time

Paul