View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Running a moonshine still

Too you have to consider the difference between commercial and personal production. I really am not concerned with the commercial aspect. If I can make my own fuel cheaper on a personal level I am not concerned with how much energy the farmer spent growing the corn.

From what I have read ethanol can be made from any plant that has plant sugars that are easily fermented and distilled. For example, I could potentially make a deal with my local fruit stand to take the rotting fruit that does not sell on time off their hands. It saves them the hassle of getting rid of it and it provides me an easy and free source of distillery mash. That type of thing cannot be done on a commercial scale.

As far as the alcohol purity there are personal ethanol stills available now that have the water stripping set up built in. They cost about $1,400 but would last an extremely long time and produce a high grade fuel.

To me a bigger concern is this.

I have my car modified to run on ethanol and then I get out on a trip and have a hard time finding a station that sells ethanol. For the wife's trips back and forth to work it would be great. But for me to take the car to the Blade Show (a 600 mile trip) it may not be.

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/