View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Engraving coining dies

G'day Tom,

I know this is an old thread and in an earlier post you assumed that a lack of response also meant a lack of interest but I beg to differ.

Die engraving is one of those areas in the larger field of engraving that holds some interest for me and because of this thread I also found a discussion you were having on another coining site. I have found both to be very instructive and entertaining.

I spent much too short a time with Bryan Bridges in Tempe a few years ago and have since spent 6 months employed as an enameller with a badge maker who produced the dies for his products - this was my first experience of the larger scale presses that are required to produce these items. Unfortunately my time there ended and even though I offered to stay on with no wages in exchange for learning a bit more about the processes the offer was rejected.

I have since aquired a couple of Taylor Hobson pantographs and have them almost in a condition to use. I have also arranged to get the steel for a 20 ton press (I am only considering pieces about 15mm in diameter for now) so things are starting to move. The next thing will be to find a space large enough to set all of these things up.

Thanks again,
Roger