View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Mike Dubber "Speitzer" Graver Point Template set

Sorry, I did not mean to be blunt or unkind seems I've stepped on your toes all the way up to the heel, I meant I understood how and why you had the number of posts. As for not knowing all the answers, I believe most everyone here fits in that boat, I'm the old fool fishing with no hook in the back. So far I'm self taught also, or should I say I have had no 'paid' instruction, but have received a wealth of knowledge from the generosity of many others. If you don't ask and can't find the answers yourself you may never know, I think you did the smart thing, how many others want and need to ask but don't? It is sometimes just as hard to answer as to ask, and if you make mistakes and others don't correct them you may have diverted and misled someone, and it is easy to insult others unintentionally at times.

I 'tested' the point when I first obtained it and it preformed every task asked of it, but I have not 'used' it for a project so I'm not well versed in its use, however I know it will perform as it should. I think I would learn to start the graver with less angle, and back cutting should be part of the plan, I believe most engravers do so. I think you will find it much easier all around. The universal should cut round dots and not dig into the edge. I think after you learn to cut at the proper angle your problem with 'light lines' will show improvement, you're not getting the best results or performance from your graver with your present technique. I would try to make your graver start at the proper cutting angle and it should just bite in with the point when it touches the work. Watch Steve's videos, there is much to glean from them, as you learn more you will 'see' more, so if you've seen them before, look again you may learn something new.

Hand pushing feels like nothing else, it is a great pleasure with a sharp graver and a quality block, when all goes well. The loss of that 'feeling' for control is a small price to pay, if you think hand pushing will help I'd give it a try. I'd also try using Phil Coggan's 'Bulino Point' that he uses, it has no heel and cuts wonderfully, you just have to keep your mind on your cutting angle at all times, no heel to balance on makes it a little more important to do so, but it may help you get a feeling for it (or drive you crazy) as you cannot rock back on the heel and must maintain a proper angle.

Bob