View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Gold

Default Kurt Horvath ( Kguns ) Tutorial #2

(If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin)

Congratulations winners of the 1st tutorial contest. :whoo:
I wish I could have been there to give ya’ll a run for your money. Maybe next time. What do you know, next time is now!
I’ll be submitting for your viewing pleasure a Kolar O/U Skeet Gun. By the way these puppies are machined from pre-hardened steel so they are not really engraver friendly.
These guns are great, but due to modern manufacturing techniques the are not as shapely as they could be so I have sculpted the bottom of the receiver along the line of a Perrazi/Fabbri style receiver. I used an NSK, air grinder for most of the rough work and finished out the rest by hand.

Before anybody gets their slip tied in a knot, this is just an example of the flat bottom on a Kolar. This is not the gun to be engraved

The screaming Kolar Griffin has been removed and the sharp edge that transitions the sides to the bottom of the receiver have been rounded for that classical look. The removable trigger group as seen in the first photo is not fitted well. It is slightly raised and you can see a gap between the trigger group and the receiver. This was peened and filed flush for a better fit and appearance. In time this joint will become more apparent as the trigger group is removed and reinserted into the receiver. Fortunately this isn't our concern, it is normal wear. One thing to remember is what type of gun you are working on. This shotgun will be shot and knowing the client 15,000 rounds a year is not an exaggeration

The opening lever on these gun are little on the small side and the client is a big guy with large hand so I welded up the tang end and will shape and filigree that area. You’ll note that Heat Stop from Brownell’s was utilized to keep the working part of the opening lever from any heat damage caused by welding up that area to be reshaped.

There will be no gold work on this one and there will be a small amount of border scroll. It will mostly be Puntinni style, ( dots ), lots and lots of dots, maybe a few cut line here and there but we’ll be doing a lot of dots. This is where the Lindsay Foot Control really shines.

With a little due diligence there will be lots of photos and explanations along the way. You mite even get a glimpse of the old mobile studio to boot..

Kurt Horvath