Thread: Hi from uk
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Steel

Default Re: Hi from uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger B View Post
Ricky,

One thing this forum allows you to do is to learn from the mistakes of others. The most common mistake is rushing in too soon and buying inappropriate tools. The "engraver" that you posted the link to will not remove background but will only push it around a little. A rotary tool like a flex arm drill or micro-motor will remove metal as will scorpers.

Something which many learners have problems with is getting a consistant and sharp edge on the graver without some sort of aid - this is why I would suggest you plan your purchases so that they can be linked. If you are going to go with the hand push method why not get the tools from this site (i.e. some loose HSS gravers, a couple of handpieces and a couple of sharpening templates (approx. US$430-, but there is a cheaper option which gives you one template, one diamond hone, one handpiece for US$177- plus your gravers- not included). When you later upgrade to an airgraver these items can still be used in the system. If you were to buy the standard gravers and wooden handles as supplied by most jewellery tool suppliers, you would have to opt for the GRS sharpening system as the gravers do not fit into the Lindsay templates. In my opinion this is a more expensive option as you would almost imediately have to purchase the dual angle sharpening jig.

Take time to look around this and other sites and you will learn an enormous amount.

Roger
Hi Roger,
Last post I was reffering to you not PS (Sorry) but still,thanks to both of you for the sound advise.

The $177 deal and save for the air graver sounds my best option.
Watching them air gravers on steve's video tells me that is what I want and where I want to be.Saying that I have also looked and spoke with phil coggan and he does some fine work with H&C and his Bulino work is what I intend on doing in the end.

Thanks for all the sound and honest advice,so glad I found this forum,you would not believe.