Thread: SikaStag
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to SikaStag
Default SikaStag

Hi Guys

Its about time I introduced my self.

I am 47y old, married with no children. I live on a sheep farm way up in the hills in the Scottish Borders.
My main interests are shooting, shooting and then some, mainly deer stalking and fox control. I am so lucky as I can jump on the quad bike and drive to one end of the farm and sit and shoot Sika deer whenever the freezer requires more venison.

I still go stalking with my friend for red deer, to help them reach their cull figures, this is open hill stalking. We were there on Monday, between the two of us we shot 6 hinds, another 8 needed before the season ends on the 15th of this month. My passion for deer, I hope will one day show in my engraving,

I have always been an admirer of engraving for many years. I was a firearms dealer when I crossed paths with William P Sinclair 4 years ago, we became very good friends, our interests were so alike.

I knew Bill for almost a year before he actually let me sit and watch him scratch metal (his words not mine). He always threatened to make up a practise plate for me, unfortunately it was not to be. I so wished that it had and I was able to have him here to turn to when something needed explaining or shown how to be done. However my interest has never subsided.

I will be in the near future buying all of Bill's engraving equipment, his whole set up.
I will set up a corner of my gun room to engrave.
I hope to try to learn the basics of engraving from this site, not someone actually here with me steering me on the right path.
I will post pics of my practise work, for you guys to scrutinise.
I know I am expecting a lot from you in helping me progress, I feel this engraving community is all about giving help and opinions to those that need it.

Bill had bought a palm control from Steve, I think in August of last year. It surely is a work of art, such a tiny little machine. I am looking forward to using it. I have no excuses when it comes to equipment. The weak link in the chain is me and my ability to progress.
I will give 100% to try make it work, being that I will be working with my friends equipment makes me so happy, I only hope I can turn out some work in years to come that would have made him proud of me.

Roger, my apologies for not yet posting pics of Bills work. I have spoke to his wife who is ok with me photocopying some pictures from Bills portfolio. Please bare with me on this, it will happen.

Regards
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3181.jpg (36.1 KB, 43 views)