View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Copper

Thumbs up Jacob Perkins Printing and Engraving Plant

Hi Everyone

My name is Dave and I am overseeing the restoration of the Jacob Perkins Engraving and Printing Plant in Newburyport MA. This plant was in operation beginning in 1808 through the 1830's and produced the majority of paper money used by banks through out New England and beyond. Perkins, America's most prolific inventor in the early 19th century, was the inventor of the steel plate sideography process and the "checkplate" anticounterfiting process. After emigrating to England in 1819 his firm there printed the first postage stamp, the Penny Black.

The Historical Society of Old Newbury acquired the Perkins building several years ago in very deteriorated condition and has spent over a half amillion dollars on its stabilization and renovation.

It is our intention to turn the Printing Plant an demonstration entity printing facsimile notes and other engravings. In addition, we hope to become the defacto repository for Perkins information, ephemera, notes and related 19th century engraving and printing tools.

As a result we are looking for appropriate 19th century tools, presses and equipment for usage and display that will illustrate the state of the engraving and sideography art. We would appreciate any and all advice, leads to presses, Perkins notes and ephemera, related early books, process descriptions, early photos etc.

You can contact me via email at:

dmack@tbri.com

or directly through this forum.

Looking forward to corresponding with all of you and learning about the fine art of engraving.

Thanks

Dave

Please visit us at www.newburyhist.com