Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Steel

Default Re: thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbler
I would also ask the same question as halfdan. Although they are beutiful works of art it seems not very practical (IMO) and would tend to be if you will wall hangers.

Do you suppose these old works of art were ever even fired?

I know there was alot of engraving done on firearms that were used on a regular basis, but I referring to guns such as puffer posted. What do you think?
The pistol I showed was a "wall hanger" ( made for presentation to the Bey of Tunis ) But remember, these "ornate guns", were bought by the "gentry" & were a sign of pride & their wealth. This 1610 French flintlock is reported to have been the "sporting arm" of one such person.
Also, there are numerouse references to The gentlemen (Like the king William III & George III), getting together & having shooting matchs witheir "fine guns"

Remember the Ornate swords these guys carried into the field. Or better yet, those "ornate" Pen/KYs ("richly carved" IMHO = wall hangers
Note- Wait until you see the "scots pistols" (they were used - example- The 1st shot in the Rev. war, was fired from an ornate scots pistol.)

Puffer