View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Steel

Default Pauls Gold Inlay submission

(If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin)

Hello all

I am back after my break ( ha ha ) with the knee injury.

I have been thinking long and hard about engraving on a gun, is it just me or is it most engravers wish to try to produce for themselves some of the fine art that we see in this forum.

Now most who have been following me, know I am just a new beginner, and being in the jewelry trade my ethics have always been never to devalue an object. Its amazing to me how a customer will spend hundreds on a fine watch , then dremell his own name on the back to save a few dollars,

Also in the trade its very hard to take back any bad work you perform ,I will spent extra time to make a job as good as I know I can make, now thats not to say I am the best in the trade, but I will keep trying on every job to improve, and give my customers my very best performable work. I will also only perform new types of service myself, only after much practice, and skill level achieved.
I have seen enough bad work out-there and dont want to add and of my own.

The inspiration and confidence I have for this submission is from previous tutorials from both Mike Dubber and Barry Lee Hands, its from both of these generous people I feel I can achieve something like this, so in advance thanks guys, all credit to you, except the mistakes which will be mine.

The gun I wish to try some simple inlay on is my own Ruger security-six, which I use for service matches. Now this is nothing special Its a VERY used 3rd or 4th hand gun, its best feature ( for me ) was its previous owner had a very good trigger job performed on the gun, more than the gun was worth? so lucky me.

The Gold inlay I want to try is something simple on the back strap of the gun . Its still to be decided with help from the forum but I was thinking maybe some roman wording RUGER and maybe the ruger symbol , I would also like to inlay the RUGER SECURITY-SIX lettering on the side frame.

As before I welcome advice and help so feel free to reply

Yours Paul