View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Steel

Default Re: R U a Cowboy Action Shooter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile
Chris,

Welcome to another cowboy shooter on the forum. I have always wondered about SASS in NZ. I was under the impression that people couldn't own cartridge firing handguns there. Also were you a constable when you carried the Bulldog and Colt pocket model? I also thought you didn't have concealed carry in NZ but that is just an assumption.

CRB
Sass is alive and well here in NZ.

200-400 shooters here and a anual competition against Australia every year.

Couple of years ago one of our shooters came 3rd at Trails End at the founders ranch in the USA. Payden Cash.

As to cartridge firing handguns there is about 3000 pistol shooters here in NZ. Just requires a different licence and membership of a pistol club.

Firearms ownership here is very lax. We can own any number of rifles and shotguns on our standard hunting licence, including a multi barreled single shot hand operated rifle (aka Gatling gun) on a hunting licence.

Silencers and suppressed weapons arre common and anyone can buy a silencer without a licence. Any one who spends $200NZ on a collectors licence can own fully operating machine guns and mortars (we just cant shoot them, legally). Couple of my friends have a 20mm Olerkon anti aircraft cannon in working order. One day!!!!

As to my carry of the Bulldog and the Browning 1900. I carried these as my personal CCW weapons while in the army in the UK and always when I went on holiday in France (lots of carjackings of British cars). My army unit required we were armed at all times even when in civvies. Got hurt in training exercise and dropped from the unit, then lost all my poistols in the UK ban in 1996.

Thanks for the welcome.

Joined this site as I am rebuilding a Swedish Remington Rolling Block action of 1874 into a long range rifle. Have had it barrelled with a Badger 34" full octagonal in 45-70. I,ve just finished the woodwork. American Walnut grade 2 with a check piece. Has taken me 8 months of sanding and the past 2 months finishing it with a "London Finish".

Now I need to finish the metal work. Its still in the white. thinking of browning it. I would like to learn hoiw to engrave so that I can decorate the metal work. I would love to be able to do a gold and silver inlay in the metal. Sort of complementing the browning.

I have been looking at the laurel Mountain Browning fluid but I destroyed my credit card in a budgetary decision.

Chris