View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Platinum

Default Re: hi from new zealand

Andrew Biggs is a New Zealand engraver who does Maori themed work.

Partly because you'll have more trouble getting with someone for them to show you things you really want to get Steve's sharpening setup. The template based system is just about fool proof. I say 'just about' because you can make mistakes. I now know that unless there's a detailed 'how to' posted for a template that it's best to start with the small 'shaping' template (if there is one), do a little shaping and then switch to the main template and 'finish' the point. It'll be far too big and not what you want but it keeps you from doing things like making flats upside down.

Once I know how it really looks it's a lot easier to go back and make it right the first time.

Also, very important: make a permanent mark showing which side is 'up' (as viewed from the notch in the holder) on the blank. Some points are impossible to figure out when you go to resharpen them. I use a little diamond file to mark a line across the 'up' side (usually more than one just to be safe). You just need something that can't wipe off.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album