View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Gold

Default Re: Carl Bleile engraving with new template tool & Lindsay Artisan

Carl I'd like to add to my previous post. Your method of sharpening gravers, perhaps other tools also, is very imaginative. I come from a different backround. I'm a total novice in engraving, but I love everything about engraving.
You, Phil Coogan, Steve Lindsay and some others are inspiring and no doubt will continue to inspire a hundred years from now. I have a book in my library "Heroic Armor from the Italian Renaissance". [I hope publications of this sort continue in the age of computers] The work illustrated in this book is of the highest quality metalwork and you guys are a continuation of this tradition. My ambitions vis-a-vis engraving do not include guns (no political position here); but I love work of such high excellence. Daniel H is more in the arc of work I'd like to pursue.
To return to gravers and sharpening: I've been and still am a lapidary/goldsmith some 30 years on. I use a Raytech faceting machine. I have a second Raytech that I use for graver sharpening. It's different than most in that it has a handpiece that holds the dop, which holds the stone which can be lifted off an elevating platform for inspection. I'm adapting the quill in the handpiece to hold a graver. As do you, I like adapting things to new uses. Our best tools are those we make ourselves.
I hope to adapt what you do in guns to more personal interests. When I saw the cover of "The Engraver", I thought this is groundbreaking design/work.
Finally, the Raytech is why I'm interested in the tool angles.