View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Gold

Default Re: Brian H. contest submission Engraved Nude folder

Ok, sorry for the delay, tis the season.

So our channel is cut, undercut and teeth raised using a flat graver, we will now cut the material. We are using 18k gold, 24ga. To transfer the outline to the gold, I daube the surface with some printers ink, just enough to turn it black, to much ink the transfer is splotchy, to little you will get no transfer, play with it and you will easily figure out how much is enough. So next take some clear packing tape and stick it down to the area and lift it off, it will take much of the layer of ink with it, now stick it down to your sheet of gold and rub the tape a little and the pull it off and "walla" there is your outline, now it is a good idea to scribe your outline so not to rub it off while cutting with the saw also chips like to stick to the ink so after scribing I clean the gold off with some Ronsanol lighter fluid, it really cleans the ink off well. So with a jewelers saw I cut out the gold using a 8/0 blade, and I split the hair into two pieces, which will make setting easier later on. Now the gold fits pretty close to the edge of the pocket, but I do cut the gold a bit full at the tips of things, so I know I will have enough material to fill the area, the picture shows a gap at the edge, but that is due to the gold sliding around on me while the picture was being taken, if there was a gap that big, there would not be enough gold to fill the channel, plus with the harder golds, they do not want to move as well so to get it all the way over to the edge would take some pounding, so fit the gold as close as you can.
[IMG][/IMG]