View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Copper

Default Attempting Bulino (Dot) Engraving

Hi Everyone,

I make folding knives and I'm teaching myself to engrave. I've just finished a piece for my sister-in-law which was taken from a photo of her with her girls. My image didn't come out as beautifully crisp and clear as the ones posted by so many of you. The fine detail such as fingernails, teeth, and eye lashes are muted but it's a dot engraving.

I'm providing the image to show I'm serious about this craft and I'm putting in the effort. While this engraving is great for free it pales considerably next to the beautiful work done by so many of you.

The engraving is on a piece of 304 stainless 3" x 3-3/4" x .165". The frame is red oak, the engraving is inset using a router (kinda rough). This took two tries to get something acceptable, eyes not crossed or wall-eyed, and the mouths having smiles not snarls.

I learned so much doing this. With regard to the task before me, this must be what a free climber feels like while staring at the face of El Capitan; excited but awed.

I learned about tool sharpening, graver holding, shading, exercising patience. Thousands upon thousands of tiny "pick and flicks". At the pace I'm doing the engraving I would starve but fortunately I have a day job!!

Anyway, feel free to comment. There's no inflated ego here; I know the difference between , "Ahhhh" and "oooh". When I feel confident enough to put and eagle or an otter on the scale of one of my knives you'll be one of the first to know.

These images don't seem to be appearing in the post so I'm including the URLs :

http://www.dropbox.com/s/s7a16f9jiex...0View.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com/s/qmdvwf9azru680c/Front.jpg?dl=0