View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Steel

Default Re: Pauls Gold Inlay submission

Hello again

Found time for some practice today, I also ground some more gravers using lindsays sharpening system, I ground up a smaller flat and a knife edge to use for the undercutting in some of the fine lines, The bottom graver is the detailing graver I are using.

Pic 8

Today i thought I would practice some different wire sizes from .4 .6 .8 and 1mm ,to see how I handle cutting them and see if they hold.
I cut several lines of varying widths using the detailing graver, however when it came to the 1mm line I used my new flat graver to square up the channel and make up the width as the v graver was starting to have to cut quite deep, I think I have found the comfortable limit with lines using the detailing graver( I wonder how a 120v would go ?? )

Pic 9

The three smaller sizes were hammered in as before with the punch in the classic, however it seemed to struggle with the 1mm wire, I guess I could have increased the pressure to the graver however I just used the punch and a small hammer, and the wire went in quite easy.
This was then leveled back with a fine diamond file.

Pic 10

All finished and level.
Then I picked the wires out again to see just how well they seem to be holding. The wire seems to be filling the undercut and is holding in quite tightly.

Pic 11

I am Quite happy with how the wires are holding in the the channels, However I am still touching the other side of the channel when undercutting and this results in an uneven line, maybe I need to hold the graver at a greater angle, or just be more careful, or use a different tool, dont know??.
Think I will try joining wires next time, then maybe filling some letters.

Till next time

Paul