View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Steel

Default Re: Pauls Gold Inlay submission

Hello again

Today I cut a inlay channel that varied in width to practice joining wires from .4mm to 1mm, I used the small flat I had made to undercut.

When it became obvious the wire was to small I would cut the wire off with a flat, lift the end of the wire up in the channel, then insert a larger wire and continue to hammer down. When I came to the 1mm wire I did turn up the preasure to the classic graver, but found it was still easier to punch the wire in with a punch and hammer, I think the copper wire is hardening too quick and wants to spread rather than push into the channel, I dont think I would have the same problem with gold or silver wire as its a lot softer, and you can work it more before it becomes hardened.

Filed and finished, I noticed a few punch marks on the metal, Its so easy to punch the wire in with the classic I became a bit careless and over punched the wire.
I pulled the wire out and all seemed well except one spot near one of the joins, A bit of metal from the smaller wire must have squeezed into the undercut where the larger wire was then punched down and so was not locked down, it was only a small section but will look out for this in future, same for the over punching.

Not to bad a result and some more lessons learned.

Yours Paul