View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Steel

Default Re: An experiment in Lettering and Printing

Hi All,

Well I'm getting started at last after a pretty busy week. So apologies for keeping you all in suspense (assuming you actually are interested!).

As this is my first attempt at this I thought I would start by explaining about myself first.

I trained in Cape Town, South Africa, as a jeweller and then moved to England to work as a jeweller. After doing a part-time course in engraving I decided to switch career and got work as a 'trade' engraver in London where I worked for 4 years until I went self employed about a year ago.

SO in theory at least, I should be pretty good at lettering, as that is mostly what I did for 4 years. But I have been doing more pictorial stuff, so I'm a bit rusty and thought this would be a good way of getting back into lettering.

About the tutorial:

Firstly I am going to assume that no-one knows about lettering, so please don't feel patronised if I keep it simple.

Where necessary I may also include a glossary of English terms so that you Americans can understand what I'm on about. Perhaps I can teach some of you the Mothertongue while I'm at it

I am going to cover the 4 main letter styles and aim to explain a bit about each one as I go along:

Roman
Script
Old English/Gothic
Block/Sans Serif

OOH and one last important note. I am left handed
and I'm not going to attempt reversing my explanations for you rightys. So remember if I say up it means down in right-handed speak.

And lastly may I just say I LOVE TYPOGRAPHY!