Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Steel

Default Re: thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles starks
ok so lets keep this all tied together here fellas which i think we are doing .
do you all think that this heavy ornamentation slowed down because of guarding of secrets or was it simply change .
How about the laws passed by the crown in the 18th century , did they have an effect you think ?
IMHO, as we trace the engraving, VIA the examples posted, we see a decrease in the "heavy ornamentation" not because of "guarding secrets" BUT because of 2 factors.
1. The guns themselves. -- The "early guns" were LARGE to say the least. Therefore they offered the engraver a a larger canvas to work with. As the guns became more diminutive, the decoration followed suite. ( imagine an 19th centry dueling pistol or sporting rifle, or fowler, with the type of engraving you first posted ???? Even with the "ornate" guns I posted, we see inlays & finer engravings.
2. Personal taste availability & usage.-- Originally guns were a "rarety" & EXPENSIVE & very few had them.As the guns developed & their usage became more "common" the engraving became more "practical" Even the "bey of Tunis' gun I showed could be carred & used.

IMHO, THE HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT of the GUNS & the DECORATION of GUNS CAN NOT BE SEPERATED !!!!

Puffer