View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Gold

Default Re: John Barraclough practice plate

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your really nice comments. They're much appreciated. Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you as I've been away for a few days. Now to answer some of your questions............

The only metal prep on the plate was with 400 grit wet and dry. A tedious task!! I just got a local metal guy to cut a few plates in different shapes.

I've been engraving for 11 months now. I started with a Foredom engraver and sharpener/honer. When Andy offered his old SL classic airgraver for sale I jumped at it. The Foredom was good to start with but I think it could be outgrown pretty quickly and fine work would be near impossible (that's only my personal opinion and I could be wrong there) I still use the Foredom sharpener/honer and it seems pretty good.

Yes I use a microscope. I have to, as my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I'm 48 and have to wear reading glasses. I tried optivisors etc but they didn't suit me personnaly. The background is removed with small flats and then stippled and I also like useing small textured punches for backgrounds. The gravers used were 120, 90 & 60 degree. 120 for the main scroll cuts. 90 for scroll shading. 60 for all picture work.

I try to get 3-4 hours in a night and some day time in on the weekends when I'm home. I'm really lucky as I have a wonderful wife that is really supportive and she sits with me in my "engraving room" doing her university work and studies. We just chat away while we're working.

Tom whites transfer magic is fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Steve..........I'd like to see that plate as well!!!!!

John B...........The pleasure was all mine mate.

Best regards
Andrew Biggs