View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Steel

Default New to engraving.

Hello, my name is Mark. As the adopted son of a dentist and an art intsructor, I was taught to appreciate both the arts and sciences. Also, coming from Italy and being a left handed dyslexic, I gravitated towards Leonardo. I've worked in many media, from drawing and painting to wood working and sculpture. My last endeavor was glass blowing and like with most things I've tried, I did tons of research and put in hours of time to become extremely proficient.

I learned how to shoot at a very young age and even shot competitively while in the military and as a civilian. Recently I was looking for a new outlet for my artistic urges. It just so happened that I ran across a YouTube video about Hobo nickels. Something just clicked and I started doing what I do......research. Unfortunately, being recently divorced, I did not have the money to start engraving, even with the cheapest power assisted unit.

I began to study and draw for hours on end. I started with a box of masonry nails and a bench grinder and a four sided diamond knife hone that had grits ranging from 200-800. I made handles out of old fallen limbs on my property and also used some of that same wood for rudimentary grinding templates.

Being a lover of the southwestern part of the United States, my first actual attempt at engraving anything, I chose "Delicate Arch" in Arches National Park. Below are pictures of the tools that I have made so far and my first engraving. I know that it is very crude and I need lots of work. I welcome any and all corrective criticism.

Thank you all in advance. I am very much enjoying this site and forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (163.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (112.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Mark Diorio; 02-21-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling error and can not get pic to upload.