Thread: Hubs
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Steel

Default Re: Hubs

Thank you for the positive feedback everyone. I didn't know if anyone would be interested but thought that I would post it anyway. If you can engrave you can cut dies and sculpt stuff. Yea Dave and Steve E. need to see this for your coin carving. My supervisor goes in quite a lot on Saturdays and maybe we can arrange it then with nobody there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Can you tell why I couldn't get the raised rim to fill? Is it because I need a bigger press?

Steve
Steve,
Cutting backwards is different huh? I am wondering what the size of the piece is and how thick the planchetts (fancy name for the blanks) are? I would say that you would leave everything set up the way it is and just use .015-.020" thicker material. If is is sterling this shouldn't cost too much more. If you are doing karat gold you might go up .005" thicker at a time till it fills.

Did you get any tooling with the press? I am assuming you did and the part isn't too large of diameter for the presses capacity. Was there any blanking tooling for making planchetts? If using thicker material does not solve the problem then email me some better pictures of the press and I'll see if I can help further.

We do have a 1 1/2" coining attachment for the 650 ton hydraulic. No one knows how to use it and I haven't had the time to figure it out. The press is always in use and we haven't had the time to set it up and experiment with it. It does have the ability to put the serrated edge on also. Here is a die and a part from this setup.