Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,486. Welcome to our newest member, RayJohns
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum

Default The new Dubber/Schowe Engraving Transfer System

©

This new system of Engraving Transfers© is designed to assist the engraver in establishing proper and credible Colt Style Scrolls on Colt Single Action Army Revolvers, and on Colt SAA clones (Turnbull Open Range, US Arms, Cimmeron, Uberti and others). With creative adjustments, transfers are also useful for scrolling Ruger and other similarly styled Western and single action revolvers from various manufactures. By using the instructions included in the various Kits, permanent scroll images can be easily transferred from the Transfer Sheet directly to the metal surfaces of the handgun.

The Transfer Sheets: these transfers are printed on Tom White's newest generation transfer material, and are transferred to the engravers firearm using Transfer Magic. The engravers who tested the product tell us that they are able to re-use the transfers up to 5 times. The sheets contain an entire set (in multiples) of scroll transfers for a Single Action Army revolver...enough to cover errors and re-makes!

© ©
© ©

Photos: Top Left, Acrylic Casting.....................Top Right Transfer Sheet
Bottom Left, Turnbull Open Range by Mike Dubber.....Bottom Right, Colt SAA by Les Schowe - Both guns engraved using the Dubber/Schowe Engraving Transfer System

The castings included with the kits are cast from molds of original steel Master Plates executed by Mike and Les. They illustrate the kind of artistic appeal that has been applied to Colt engraving for the past 150 years. Castings are included with the Kits for the engraver to see and study detail, background and depth. The hand engraved lines are not static, they are not flat, and they are not mechanical, single-dimemsion lines cut in steel. These cuts change, flair, and diminish as they are cut. The detail and shading lines create another layer of interest for the viewer, and various background treatments create yet another. The casting displays different ways of shading scrolls and leaves, and there are several background treatments that work to contribute to the overall appeal of the finished work. Those layers of interest enhance what would otherwise be a flat and uninteresting scroll patterns.

Check out the new System at www.engravingtransfers.com - or, find our link in LindsayTools.com
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Default Re: The new Dubber/Schowe Engraving Transfer System

I have never engraved a revolver and had this Uberti SAA clone of a black powder era Colt sitting here begging to be engraved. I figured since I had no design drawn up I'd test this system out on it.

I am almost complete except the extra cylinder and the shading. When it is complete I'll post photos in the white and blued for comparison. This system would be perfect for those who don't excel in the design arena or would like to insure that their first SAA is cut with a proven design that you don't have to worry about looking right for the period; that way you just transfer the designs and cut them.

Another thing that's nice is that you can use them for a base design and modify it beforehand or as you go which is what I did. Shading makes the difference in any design and that is totally up to you.

The transparencies are excellent! I took one cylinder flute design and transferred that one, in six different places before it was wore out! I'm used to getting just one transfer out of a transparency, so that is a bonus especially when you place it incorrectly; you get more chances to get things lined up right with less waste.

I'd encourage those with a need for this type of system to buy one and use it, they are well thought out and precisely explained in every detail. Good job fella's!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum

Mike and Les
I had the privilege to test this system and it works great,as Tim said the transfers can be used over and over. I used it on a US Firearms colt clone, And on a Ruger single six. Great product for us artistry challenged types. I also bought the second set and am waiting for the development on more designs.
I will post some photos later.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Gold

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to announce that we, at Engraving Transfers, have made a through market survey after we first posted out initial price information on our website. As a result we are aligning our price structure with our survey results and we have considerably reduced the prices for our products. Please check out our website at http://www.engravingtransfers.com and review the new pricing structure.
Sorry for the change but this is a new business and we are working hard to get everything right.

Les Schowe
Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Platinum

Les/Mike
Do you have a timeline for when the other models will be available?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Gold

Right now Mike is generating the designs for the Winchester Model 94 which will be our next product - followed by a design set for the Colt Model 1911. We will both work on cutting the Master Plate, and then Mike will generate the castings and I will generate the transparencies. Lot of work, but we hope to get this new product out in a month and a half or so. Hopefully the 1911 will be released a couple of months after that.

Any comments on our schedule or other products would be greatly appreciated.

Les Schowe
Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Gold

I have a Post Script to the above post.

We have designed and made some prototypes for an Instructional Kit which will allow a student to learn to cut Colt designs on the complicated surfaces of a Single Action Army Revolver before actually cutting on a real gun. We have also designed and made prototypes of a neat little barrel holder.

The prototypes work very nicely but we are not machinists. If there are any machinists out who might be interested in working with us to manufacture these products please contact us.

Les Schowe
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Gold

Mike and Les,
I am glad the new films are working for your system so well.
I am very interested in the 94 transfers put me on a mail list if you have one.

Thanks,
Tom White
www.twdesignshone.com
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Gold

Hi Tom,
Yes!, your new generation of transparency films really work nicely for transferring designs to metal . I would even go so far as to say that they work better than the infamous, and no longer available, Epson transparency films. Thanks for your hard work in making these films available to us.

We will let you know when the Winchester Model 94 Kit is ready. I actually can't wait myself.

Les Schowe
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Platinum

Why are you doing this to me????? Now I have to start saving up for these and put my order in soon! Thanks guys for developing these.

Bill
Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum

Okay, the prices are much better....I just ordered a set. Maybe you could do a "special" for the whole kit-and-kaboodle" for those that want them all.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Platinum

Thanks Big Un - it's on its way.

Let us know how you do with the Transfers, and post some photos on the Forum when you get 'er done !
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Platinum

Wow great products,and the new prices are great too,I can't engrave firearms at the moment,maybe i have to search some type of engravable Replica arms to try to engrave to show to customers.
I have find heare some replicas but i don't know if are good to practice engraving
http://replicagunsswords.com/weapons...ome.php?cat=84
Anyone have try to engrave something like that?
All the way i have see the castingS page and are great,soon as i can i will make a order!
Thank you Les & Mike!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Those replicas would not be good to engrave as they are cast pot metal. (junk)
They look nice for what they are but would be lousy material to cut.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Platinum

Thank you Tim for your answer maybe will be better find some type of disabled gun, i will continue searching
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Platinum

mrthe
Are you restricted from engraving black powder replicas. There are many "working" replica revolvers available and most are made in Italy and Spain.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Platinum

thank you DKanger, can you send me some link or example and info to see it and in this try to search ir heare?
thank you very much!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum

Google any of these. They are all made in Italy or Spain:
Armi San Marco
Pietta
Uberti
Pedersoli

They are widely available in the USA, but I'm sure there must be European distributors to save on taxes and shipping. You can look at www.dixiegun.com or cabelas.com to see what's available. I thought perhaps you could contact the manufacturers directly, explain you are an engraver, and get one "in the white."
Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Platinum

one question, this are real gun or disabled one , because my problem is that u haven't for the moment a license to own firearms for this reason i'm searching something good to practice, thank you very much for your help!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Platinum

HI,

A little help;

The new Dubber/Schowe Engraving Transfer System

I seem to be lost can someone please direct me to the prices please ?

SE

Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Platinum

Hi SE
the link is below the photos in the first post
Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Gold

Hi Se,
click on www.engravingtransfers.com

Go to the "Products Page"

Click on either 1800's kit, or 2010 kit, or castings to get the pricing.

Les Schowe
Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Platinum

Hi,

I got it now,
Thank you Dave L.
Thank you Les S.

SE
Old 07-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum

mrthe,
They are real guns, but are replicas of antique firearms. In the US, they are considered to be non-firearms because they are not cartridge guns and must be loaded with black powder, a cast round ball, and a primer.

I don't know Spain's laws concerning them, but in the US they are exempt from most gun laws. Perhaps you could ask the local owner of a gun store about the laws concerning them.

Perhaps I will ask this question on the International Muzzleloading list. I believe there are members of the Spanish team who belong.

Dave
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum

Thank you Dave!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum

Darn it!!! It just came in as we were going out the door for a mini- vacation in the mountains....had to put it away until we return. Mama frowns when my attention is diverted while on "play time." I will let you know how it goes upon returning. Thanks for the kit fellas and I may need some fixtures to hold the parts in, guess I'll contact Mr Bowen ( I think that's him) about them. It's tough thinking when away from your notes.

Thanks for the surprise casting Mike.

Any way, good job guys.

Bil
Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum

Extra Casting:

I always have extra molds laying around my casting bench when I'm pouring plastic! It's difficult to measure exactly what it will take to fill two or three molds. So, when I have an extra amount of casting material I can usually pour two or three small molds like grip caps - and why not send them on with the castings folks have ordered.

Mike Dubber
Old 07-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Platinum

Time is running out in the mountains....should be ready to do something Monday! Can't wait!!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Gold

Hi Everyone,

Mike has asked me to post his work-in-progress on the Winchester Model 94 design casting. He is off the the Ohio Gun Collectors Show and will not have time to post until next week. This will eventually be made into the casting for the kit, and I will generate the transfer sheets. The final casting will, of course, be fully shaded my Mike and myself before it is released.

I think that we are on schedule,

Les Schowe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN94.jpg (100.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Gold

Hi everyone,
Mike has just finished cutting the outline cuts on the design casting plate for the Winchester model 94 transfer kit. He has sent the plate to me so that I can start the process of developing the transfer sheets. I "inked" the cuts and took a photo of the plate and am including the photo here for your review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Win94_plate_2LR.jpg (161.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Platinum

This plate is engraved with scrolls 'reminiscent" of the LD Ninschke style.

As with our original Colt SAA patterns, I want each of the transfer Kits to reflect the history and style of engraving as it might have been done in the early years of production of that firearm.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Gold

trying out the new system. i had an old cyl. from a blackhawk 45 convertable to use to practice this on before i wreck a whole gun. this cyl is about 1/8 th in. longer than the vaquero cyl. , so the work would space , fit perfectly on the vaquero. i have to order some dot punches now and do the shading later . i did a running wheat , and boardered all. i will be doing a 7 1/2 in stainless vaquero later and try to get as close to 100% coverage as possible . i think i,ve been looking at too much howard dove pics lately. johnpilk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pics of gun 7-4-12 035.jpg (95.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum

JP
Nice work, the jewelry beading punches work good on the frame, barrel, etc of Rugers not on the cylinders or hammers,also the loading gate is tough. After crumpling a few beading punches, I switched to the Ngraver punches for the harder stuff. However it is easier to see and place the dots with the jewelry punches. MTC
Old 08-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Gold

use the ngraver dot punches. they work well and i reform, sharpen with a carbide ball cutter of approprate size to keep a good polish and a bead that will cut about a third circle instead of a half circle . i have no problem with rugers . no matter what part of the gun. john pilk 60 rc
Old 08-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Platinum

John:

It's great to see your cylinder scrolls using the Engraving Transfer System - a wonderful interpretation of the Colt style! I especially like the runing wheat rear border. Howard Dove did great work, but if this is a good example of where your are headed with the 7 1/2" Ruger Vaquereo, your work will be better!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Gold

Hi Everyone,
I just finished engraving my third Single Action Army revolver. This is a Colt, .45, 7 1/2 inch barrel, third generation. The photos are obviously taken before the gun is blued. I will have it charcoal blued. I used the 2010 Engraving Transfer Pattern to engrave this gun.

Les Schowe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColtSAA_LeftSide.jpg (59.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ColtSAA_RighttSide.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ColtSAA_bottom.jpg (24.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ColtSAA_top.jpg (29.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 AM
Gold

les, this just looks great, i,m in process of trying to beg , borrow or steal a new piece to do . looks like you found a new addiction and me too. are you going to cc or do a full charcoal blue ? either way it will turn out fabulous. johnpilk
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Gold

Hi Johnpilk,
Thanks.
I plan to "Charcoal" blue the gun and then have the screws nitri blued just like I did the second USFA SAA.

The photos that I posted on the forum were actually much higher resolution, but the forum software cuts the resolution because of digital space issues. If you would like to see the high resolution version of the photos, I have put them on on the Engraving Transfers web page under: Home/More Gun Photos.

Les
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Gold

progress , i got around to shading today. i usually do it last , but still waiting on new punches. i,m dabbling right now waiting on a vest pocket 25 to return from de-plating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pics of gun 7-4-12 038.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pics of gun 7-4-12 043.jpg (102.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Gold

les, i saw the new piece on the site . i really like it a lot. i finally got the punches in today. i,m using a #2 for this practice piece . is yours a # 2 punch? i,m looking to get a black powder frame from colt . they quoted 1390 & time factor varies with model. johnpilk
Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Gold

Hi John,
Thanks for your kind words on my Colt SAA.

So far I have only engraved USFA and Colt SAA's. The steel in these guns is quite soft and I have only used the Gesswein #4 and #2 dot punches. I did one gun totally with the #4 and one with the #2. There is a compromise, the #4 is faster, because it is larger, but the #2 gets into smaller spaces. So, on my Colt, I used the #4 as the workhorse and then used the #2 to fill in the smaller, tighter, spaces. I think that the Ngraver numbering system is not the same as the Gesswein system.
Mike has told me that the Ruger steel just tears up the Gesswein HSS gravers and that one needs to use the Ngraver punches for these tough steels. My next gun is a Ruger so I will find out. I will probably purchase a set of the Ngraver punches and experiment to see what size that I will want to use.

Les
Old 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Gold

finished the background. i used a .020, no. 2 Ngraver brand punch. he advertises as a 60 rockwell. they are tough. i don,t think i will have a hard time at all on the ruger stainless. i,m wondering. do you think i may have overshaded?, and maybe done too much background coverage on the rear at the bolt cuts and between the rear panels. i don,t know . tell me what you think. thanks john
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pics of gun 7-4-12 048.jpg (108.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Gold

Hi John,
You can look at the high resolution photos of the cylinder on my Colt on the Engraving Transfers website to see how much I like to Dot-punch backgrounds. (when you click on an icon of a gun photo to enlarge it into a full size photo, you can also click on the full size photo again to see an even higher magnification view).

I think that I background a little more then Mike backgrounds and you background a little more that I do. I think that it is all personal preference and you have to decide what you like. One problem that do I see is that you put a nice border around the cylinder lock notches on the cylinder and then you dot-punched over the border line. You should have dot-punched up to the border line but not over it. Whenever you are dot-punching up to a border area, for instance on the frame, you should engrave a border line and then just dot-punch up to that line - not to the edge of the part. I learned this after Mike indicated my mistake on my first gun. I also would not have connected the dot-punching on the sections of the cylinder designs. Other than that, it looks good. You did a good job in not overlapping the dot punches.

Les

Last edited by leschowe; 08-18-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: I used the word shading instead of Dot_unching - a case of sinility.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Platinum

Traditional shade lines found on most of the older engraved factory Colts I have examined - and even including those I see coming out of the Custom Shop today - are shaded less than either of your expamples. Typically I see no more than three or five shade lines in even the largest of leaves. Likewise, there are many exceptions, and some historical work is fully shaded. You can see wonderful and comparable examples of this in the L.D. Nimschke book.

It's as true today as it was 100 years ago - the higher the level of coverage, the more engravers tend to fully and finely detail their scroll and leaf work. In all probabliltiy, it's also a function of how well an engraver sees the work as he engraves. With the integration of microscopes into modern engraving, engravers can easily see fine detail, moreover, they tend to cut more detail because the images they see are maginfied to an greater level. It's something every engraver shoud be aware of; the level scroll and leaf detail is not only a function of appearance, it's also function of time. You and your client may really like the apearance of microscopically detailed leaves and scolls - but be sure you and your client understand the cost of producing that detail. Never forget that time is money!

Engraving Transfer Sheets from EngravingTransfers.com are transferred from the sheet to the metal without veining or leaf detail. The sheets allow for individual versitility and preferrence so the engraver can detail for more, or less fine work...and consequentally, more or less hours of engraving.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Gold

Default Mike Dubber's "Borders" casting

Hi Everyone,

I want to announce that Mike Dubber has just released a new "Borders" casting to Engraving Transfers. This is a very well done, inexpensive and educational discussion of borders. I think that this might be of considerable interest to engravers who might be studding and trying to understand various border techniques.

For anyone who might be interested please click the link: http://www.engravingtransfers.com/page17.html

Les
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Mike Dubber's "Borders" casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by leschowe View Post
Hi Everyone,

I want to announce that Mike Dubber has just released a new "Borders" casting to Engraving Transfers. This is a very well done, inexpensive and educational discussion of borders. I think that this might be of considerable interest to engravers who might be studding and trying to understand various border techniques.

For anyone who might be interested please click the link: http://www.engravingtransfers.com/page17.html

Les
Hi Les,
There is some great castings there,I liked most of them !
SE