Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Copper

Default New Old Machinist Wanting to Learn

Greetings to all!
I've been a machinist for the past 42 years, had my own CNC milling shop for the past 12 years, but had to close up last year and go to work for another shop due to the downturn that started a couple of years ago. Been doing this a long time but still look forward to learning something new at every opportunity. I work with AutoCAD, Solidworks, MasterCAM, SurfCAM, and ArtCAM on a daily basis. My current employer is actually a friend and we had discussed merging our two companies for a few years, and last year we finally did so. I do all of the Solidworks, AutoCAD work and use Mastercam and ArtCAM for my personal projects since that was the software I used when self employed. He uses SurfCAM so I have had to learn that program also. I brought with me Solidworks models of AR15 receivers and over the past year we have received our class 7 license and are now producing those models. I am making a special one for my self and want to make it a one of a kind by doing engraving over as much of the surface as is feasible and have been searching for a site exactly like this one. A place where those with experience will share their knowledge, tips and tricks with someone who is willing to listen, practice and learn and hopefully turn out work as beautiful as I have seen from you guys (and gals) here on the site. Since CNC machining is what I know best and the hands are not as strong or the eyes not as good as they used to be I am hoping to utilize my equipment as much as possible. I'm not saying I will not do any hand engraving, just want to do as much as possible with the machine. I take my hat off to all of you hand engravers, you are truly artists and real craftsmen. Looking forward to any and all help from true masters of the craft.
Thanks,
Mike Butts aka cnckid
South Carolina
Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New Old Machinist Wanting to Learn

HI,
Welcome to The Engraving Forum Mike B.The patrons of the forum are very helpful you only have to ask whatever you wish to know about engraving.
SE
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Copper

Default Re: New Old Machinist Wanting to Learn

Thanks for the welcome SE.
MikeB