Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Copper

Thumbs up newbie palm control review

I just wanted to post a review, from a newbie who has a between 10-15 hours hammer and chisel experience, and maybe an hour or two with a push graver, and never used any air assisted graver of any sorts, but has been interested in them for a while.

I went down and met with Doug yesterday (via the networking section), and tried out his palm control classic. First off a big thank you to Doug, (THANKS DOUG!) super nice guy, and has a wealth of metal working knowledge, and skill. It was a pleasure hanging out for the afternoon.

As far as the palm control is concerned...WOW! Its was everything I expected and so much more. I have struggled to try and push a line without slipping with a standard graver, and am pretty decent at controlling the hammer and chisel for the amount of time I've spent with it. From the first line on the palm control, it was a dream. You don't even really need to push it for the fine stuff, just guide it along. It was very easy to control and keep the lines even. I wasn't cutting perfectly by any means, but pretty darn good. I am confident that with practice I can become very good at achieving fine detailed pieces, that seem a lot harder with a hammer and chisel, and doubtful (in my case) with a standard push graver . In the time I spent on it, I have no doubt that I will be buying one, probably not a palm control to start $$$$, but definitely a Lindsey AirGraver. A wonderful tool!

www.saignc.com
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: newbie palm control review

Ooh, your hoocked already arn't you?
Fabulous tools!
Need not say more.

Daniel
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Gold

It dosn't take very long to fall in love with this great tool. It puts fun into engraving. Jack
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Platinum

saign,You can't go wrong with a Lindsay airgraver,I have all Lindsay Airgravers in my class. J.J.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Houwer View Post
Ooh, your hoocked already arn't you?
Fabulous tools!
Need not say more.

Daniel
you've got that right

www.saignc.com
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Steel

I bought one already. My situation is almost identical to yours. The hammer is chisel is coming alone just fine. Push graving is a nightmare and a guaranteed ruining of the work because I will slip many times. I have not received my Classic PalmControl yet. It should be here soon. However, I have talked with others that said it can cut your learning curve for controlling the graver in half.

I think I heard one even say you can do things in 5 days or hard practice what took me about 2 years with hammer and chisel.

That seems too good to be true, but that is the reason I bought it. I have many project that I need to engrave. Mainly flintlock rifles that I build as a hobby.

The investment is large, but my time is valuable. This might just save some of my time by shortening the learning curve.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Hi Spersky, I have your PalmControl ready. I didn't have it ready for fedex to pick up on Friday. Fedex will have it Monday though and it should arrive to you on Wednesday. I'll have the tracking number emailed to you Monday. I'm looking forward to hear how you like it. Give me a call if you have any questions getting it up and going.

PS.. I see your note with the order to install the tungsten piston and stainless handle. Sounds good, that is the way it will ship. The stainless piston will be seperate in a small ziplock bag. I'll include the rubber handle too. The manual describes at first to use the tool with a psi setting of 35 to 40 psi while becoming familar with the tool. Although with the tungsten piston the recommened psi setting is 60 to 80. So I have pre-adjusted your regulator that is shipping with it at 70psi. When you recieve the tool attach the regulator to your compressor hook up the handpiece tubing to the regulator and flip on the toggle switch at the regulator. Then check that it is around 70psi. Pick up the palmcontrol. Depending where the piston is in the chamber the tool may or may not be idling. If not, point the tool down so the piston falls to the front chamber and the it will start idling. You should be in business then. Read through the manual about the stroke adjustment ring so you'll undersand what it does. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 11-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Steel

Thanks Steve,

I read the manual once. I will re-read it again. I look forward to getting the Palm Control on Wednesday. I am still amazed with the elegance of its design compared to other air assisted push gravers on the market.

My microscope I ordered from Brian Marshall should be here Monday or Tuesday so I should be good to go.