Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,741. Welcome to our newest member, 3012Sd
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Gold

Default My latest knife project.....

Hello to all! Here are a couple of pic's of the latest knife that I have made/engraved. Scales are Marcian Masure Birch burl. Any critique is welcomed! Thanks for looking!
Best Regards,
Dan Grubaugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alan's knife 009.jpg (67.7 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg alan's knife 014.jpg (48.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg alan's knife 007.jpg (67.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: My latest knife project.....

Nice settngs Dan!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Platinum

Very nicely done.
One question about the grinding on the Damascus layers. How do you determine which "color" to grind back to?
Or is it a non issue as you have no choice? Are all the layers the same hardness, in other words, If you picked a dark one it wouldn't be a "softer" metal over a "light" one?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Gold

Thank you Daniel and Danny!

Daniel, I can't take credit for the settings as my jeweler friend didn that portion for me. I watched him do them and that type of setting did not look very difficult and I think that I may give it a try on the next one that I do!

Danny, I will try and answer your questions as clearly as I can. Damascus us made up of 2 or more types of steel. I did not personally make this particular blade but do know the process. This damascus is more than likely made of 1095 and 15n20 nickle steel and totals around 125 layers. This damascus is called San Mai damascus which has a core or center(thicker piece) sandwiched between thinner layers of the 1095 and 15n20. The design in the steel is dictated by the order and direction that the steel is folded. When the blade is ground and the different layers are bisected to shape the blade, the pattern shows. From there, it must be hardened or it will not hold an edge. This blade is hardened to 57-58 Rockwell. Once the blade is made, it is then given a bath in ferric acid. The acid works or affects the 2 steels differently, thus accenting or highlighting the design or pattern in it. Hope this helps!
Regards,
Dan
Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Steel

Good job real nice knife. What kind of stones and how many ct.? bervin
Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 AM
Gold

Hello Bervin, The stones are diamondsl I did not ask what the total weight of them were....but I would guess right around 1 karat total weight. I made this knife for a customer that is a jeweler and he is the one that chose and set the diamonds as it will be his personal carry knife. Thanks for looking!
Regards,
Dan