Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Gold

Default Ron Jr. Xmas Scrim - Happy Holidays!!

Holiday scrim with color accents on pre ban ivory with a beach washed ivory base. Display measures approx. 3" x 1 3/4".

Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xmas-600.jpg (96.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg xmascls-600.jpg (94.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Ron Jr. Xmas Scrim - Happy Holidays!!

Ron your scrimshows are incredibles !every time i see yours works i'm fashinated! some of this days i will like to try this teqnique , what are the basic materials and tools and how i can buy its?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Platinum

Awesome again... You're the best!

My page on Facebook
Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthe View Post
Ron your scrimshows are incredibles !every time i see yours works i'm fashinated! some of this days i will like to try this teqnique , what are the basic materials and tools and how i can buy its?

Hi Mrthe,

The scrimshaw tools are available from Coulter Precession on ebay.com;

http://stores.ebay.com/coulterprecis...id=p4340.l2563

They are in different sizes choose one that suits your hand

All the Best

SE
Old 12-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Platinum

Hi Ron Jr,

Very beautiful scrim ,the expression and detail on the face is super right to the strands of hair around the hat in the second picture.

Give us a few tips on how you achieve the detail please ?

SE
Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Gold

Thanks Mrthe, Gert and SE, appreciate the kind comments

Mrthe, all you really need to try scrim is something with a sharp point (like a needle in a pin vise), some plastic silverware, some napkins or rags and some black ink (oh and spit to, is usually readily available and very cheap. Just take your sharp instrument start poking on some plastic silverware rub ink over it and then wipe the ink off and see what you got, that's really all there is to it. I attached a pic of some beginners work done by a student of mine on some plastic knives, these are his very first efforts after some basic technique lessons. The student thinks they are terrible and is probably gonna give me heck for showing them but I am proud of him and think for first efforts they are very well done.

SE, Achieving lots of detail has to do with patience and putting in the effort. Some of my peers don't think it is worth the time/effort because you can't see all the detail with the naked eye. For me that's what it is all about, it's like a cool little surprise or secret you find the closer you look at a piece. As for technique to achieve detail it's mostly about dot size and spacing (the shading study pic on the plastic knife kinda shows this). For example Take the strands of hair, you start out pushing hard and making big dark dots then you lessen the pressure used to make the dots and slowly start spacing them out a little more with each one, you are trying to make it "fade away".

Alright I could go on and on here but I better get to work and finish getting ready for the holiday. Merry Xmas everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pltcknf.jpg (186.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pltcknf2.jpg (154.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum

Thank you very much for the explanation Ron Jr.It is most helpful.

A Merry Christmas to you.

SE
Old 12-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Platinum

Wow, another masterpiece, RonJr.!! Wonderful Happy Holidays to you too! Greetings, Paulsph
Old 12-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Gold

I made the mistake of showing these pictures at work... Nearly ended in a riot....

Awesome job as usual
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Steel

Thank you from a totally new to scrim person. Great quick lesson and I can't wait to give it a try. Thank You Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jr. View Post
Thanks Mrthe, Gert and SE, appreciate the kind comments

Mrthe, all you really need to try scrim is something with a sharp point (like a needle in a pin vise), some plastic silverware, some napkins or rags and some black ink (oh and spit to, is usually readily available and very cheap. Just take your sharp instrument start poking on some plastic silverware rub ink over it and then wipe the ink off and see what you got, that's really all there is to it. I attached a pic of some beginners work done by a student of mine on some plastic knives, these are his very first efforts after some basic technique lessons. The student thinks they are terrible and is probably gonna give me heck for showing them but I am proud of him and think for first efforts they are very well done.

SE, Achieving lots of detail has to do with patience and putting in the effort. Some of my peers don't think it is worth the time/effort because you can't see all the detail with the naked eye. For me that's what it is all about, it's like a cool little surprise or secret you find the closer you look at a piece. As for technique to achieve detail it's mostly about dot size and spacing (the shading study pic on the plastic knife kinda shows this). For example Take the strands of hair, you start out pushing hard and making big dark dots then you lessen the pressure used to make the dots and slowly start spacing them out a little more with each one, you are trying to make it "fade away".

Alright I could go on and on here but I better get to work and finish getting ready for the holiday. Merry Xmas everyone!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNMORH View Post
Thank you from a totally new to scrim person. Great quick lesson and I can't wait to give it a try. Thank You Mark
YW SUNMORH You can also check out "Scrimshaw Tip/Tricks by Ron Jr." in the Tutorials and Contests Section. Be sure to look around in there as others have written helpful scrim articles also