Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,741. Welcome to our newest member, 3012Sd
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum

Default The Truth About Trilobites

The Truth About Trilobites! Scientists have argued for many years about the cause of the Permian epoch extinction of one of the most prolific types of life on Earth. One of the great mysteries of science has finally been solved with the discovery of this exceedingly rare fossil trilobite. It seems that the trilobites did not go extinct after all, but simply ran down.

Like all great scientific discoveries, the knowledge ends up revealing more questions – for instance, who wound them up in the first place?

Truth_About_Trilobites_1Web.jpg
Three layers of engraved and carved 1/16 inch thick mild steel (soldered), copper gears, Argentium silver chain. Gun blue patination. Pendant is 1 3/4 inches long, 1 1/8 inch wide.

The idea for this piece came from a tutorial on etching brass I found on the web. I've been enjoying prowling a genre of mad scientist art/craft that has emerged called "steampunk," loosely based on Victorian-style scientific instruments and metal architectural construction
Old 10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Platinum

Default Re: The Truth About Trilobites

Interesting work and design.I like it.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Steel

Talking Re: The Truth About Trilobites

Hi Tom,

I love the Trilobite, I have always wondered what happened to them & why they all dissapeared, now we all know.

I have just been looking at your website & you have some wonderful work on there. I noticed that there was no contact email address, do you have an email address?

Simon.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Gold

Tom,
Nice! I think Agatha Heterodyne would wear it proudly!
:yesnod:
Old 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Platinum

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Simon, I removed my contact email from my website because it's being used as the return address for a huge amount of spam, apparently from Russia. I get huge numbers of bouncebacks every day, and it is extremely annoying. I've tried to get that email account at my ISP deleted, but they apparently can't or won't do that. I don't take commissions anyway, so the email is pretty useless anyway.

So now I don't post my email address anywhere that Web spiders can see it.

I've sent you a private message via this site with my home email address. You'll see it at the upper right corner of your screen where it says Welcome, Simon, click Private Messages.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Steel

Hi Tom

E-mail addresses have long been prime targets for info gathering bots. I have found that the best way to post contact information on a web site is to display it in a graphic rather than as plain text. While there are robots that can read Captchas, this technology doesn't appear to have been added to regular web crawlers as yet.

I agree with the others, nice work. Also, your Celtic knot tutorial on your site was very interesting and informative.

My Picture Album