Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Copper

Send a message via AIM to DrumEngraver Send a message via Skype™ to DrumEngraver
Default Wriggling?

Hey Folks,
I'm new here, but have been engraving in the music industry for 20 years. I reproduce a specific style of engraving (wriggling) and patterns that were popular at the turn of the century (not the most recent one) on Drums (musical instruments). Most of my designs are scrolls or floral patterns. I'm very interested in meeting and talking with any other engravers who primarily wriggle. You can see a lot of my past work just by googling: "John Aldridge, drum engraving" or you can check out my facebook photo gallery. I'm also a bit of a historian and wrote a book, Guide to Vintage Drums, so you can guess where my motivation came from to be a drum engraver.
Although I've never met another engraver who used wriggling as their prime method, I've made a pretty good living as a commercial engraver for the top companies in the drum world since I reminded them that hand engraving was an option. Anyway, I'd like to have the chance to chat with others who do this stuff, if any of you still wriggle. From all the gravermeister and h&C posts, I'm beginning to wonder.
John Aldridge
Vintage Drum Co.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Wriggling?

Welcome to the forum!

The Western Bright Cut guys do a lot of wriggle cuts so I'm sure you'll have lots to talk about.

I know wriggle cuts are favored on instruments for the dual reasons of fairly thin metal and the need for a very wide 'cut' that can be seen at a longer than normal distance.

I haven't done much of it myself but I've done enough to know it was - and is - popular because it's also a very fast way to cover a surface.

Hmmmm... I'll bet if you combine wriggle cuts with flare cut scroll (click that 'Glossary' link in red at the top if you're not familiar with that) you could get something really nice, really fast. If I ever get some darn time to engrave I might have to give that a try...

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 12-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Platinum

The only other engraver I am familiar with who almost exclusively wriggle cuts is Jason Dumars who specializes in brass instruments. If you google him I believe he has a web page and videos on Youtube. He used to be on this forum but I haven't heard from him in some time.

Also there was an Asian engraver that was featured in a thread who used a long wide graver the size of a mill file who had a unique way of wriggling on instruments with it. I believe it was called "flutter" engraving. (KC Steve-Do you remember that one?)

Regards,

Roger
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum

I wiggle but I don't know if I'd call me a real engraver. It's just a hobby for me and I'm self taught. I can't really justify spending bucks on power tools. Besides that I like making my own tools.

I do think it's a shame more people don't do a bit of push graving. I get lost in my work and that's somewhat my goal. My photo album has a few things I've did.

John
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Platinum

Roger

I remember that thread but I can't seem to find it. As I recall the gentleman in question was doing a very fast wriggle cut using a 'graver' that appeared to have been made from about a 1" wood chisel. There was some speculation that that the knifeproof glove on his other hand was something he had learned to wear.

Hey - maybe if I search on 'glove' I can find it...

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Copper

This is my first time to ask a question on this site but could not resist when I read John Aldridge's post. I'm a huge fan of John Aldridge's work and love the wriggle patterns on Black Beauty snare drums from the 20's. My question John if you don't mind is what type and size gravers do you use when you do your wriggle engraving on drum shells? Your work is fantastic and I plan to get one of your drums if I can ever get my kids out of college. I will try to attach a picture of my Black Beauty. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104_0141.jpg (75.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Copper

Somestimes it is a surprise but I liked wriggling on silver plate. Why not fetch some at the flea mkts. and use that as a practice plate. It gives the disadvantage of uneven surfaces to master. Different tools just make different looking lines. Sure did my share of it but not any more. As I aged I moved on to different fields but I have some nice memories and a collection and many scars but never lost the love of that art. Nancy
Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Copper

Hi

I am not even an engraver but I do love Southwestern Cowboy Spurs and so I have taken an interest in their silver work which entails a great deal of wriggling. As you know and I have found out there is not a whole bunch of information on this technique and I am coming to this forum to possibly find a source of information about it. In particular I am interested in the different tools and techniques used to produce the various styles of wriggling. Attached is a URL to a small picture I made up which shows what I mean by different wriggling styles as I understand it and if anyone could give me information of the "techniques" or guide me where to go to find the information I would be grateful. I suppose if you have been doing this for 20 years there is no mystery to any of the "wriggle" methods but as I am not into engraving (just yet) I am in awe of some of the beautiful work done by this technique.
[URL="http://www.rconnects.com/~kd12/2wriggles.jpg"]

Thanks......kent [ kd12@reconnects.com ]
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Copper

Hi

I am not even an engraver but I do love Southwestern Cowboy Spurs and so I have taken an interest in their silver work which entails a great deal of wriggling. As you know and I have found out there is not a whole bunch of information on this technique and I am coming to this forum to possibly find a source of information about it. In particular I am interested in the different tools and techniques used to produce the various styles of wriggling. Attached is a URL to a small picture I made up which shows what I mean by different wriggling styles as I understand it and if anyone could give me information of the "techniques" or guide me where to go to find the information I would be grateful. I suppose if you have been doing this for 20 years there is no mystery to any of the "wriggle" methods but as I am not into engraving (just yet) I am in awe of some of the beautiful work done by this technique.
[URL="http://www.rconnects.com/~kd12/2wriggles.jpg"]

Thanks......kent [ kd12@reconnects.com ]

Opps a typo error my url is kd12@rconnects.com (no e)