Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Copper

Default New guy questions

Hey there quick question for you folks, do i understand correctly that the pocket CO2 setup is only compatible with the palm control? Also is the main difference between the artisan and classic the amount of hits per minute equating to an smaller chance of flaws on the lift/grab? Please fill me in on anything I'm missing-many thanks
Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 PM
Platinum

Default Re: New guy questions

Technically you can run the Classic or Artisian with the little tiny pocket CO2 cylinders (not sure if the Nitro will work or not - might require too high a pressure), but they'll only run for a very few minutes. Even the extremely gas frugal Palm Control will only run for, what, about 15 minutes? out of your pocket.

It's still cool that you can do that.

Go to the more standard 20oz paintball gun tank, however, and a Classic will run 3 - 4 hours. I know because at first I only ran my Classic off of CO2. Later I got a regulator so I could run if off of my compressor as well and Steve gave me the little quick-connects so I can switch back and forth at will (better to have those than to keep taking the hoses off of the barbs).

While you can't fit a 20oz tank in most pockets, there is a belt clip setup (or at least there used to be) sold for running air tools (mostly nailers) off of CO2. All you really need is a pouch of about the right size with a belt loop/clip so it would be easy to rig. The problem I have with that is I have just NO touch at all engraving standing up. I know, I've tried. If you've got a table to set your vise / work on, you can set your CO2 canister on it as well.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 04-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New guy questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclaughlin View Post
Also is the main difference between the artisan and classic the amount of hits per minute equating to an smaller chance of flaws on the lift/grab?
No. The Classic power and cycle speed is determined by a combination of adjusting stroke length and gas pressure. The artisan has a fixed stroke length, so it's power adjustment is only by varying gas pressure.

So, basically, the Classic has a wider range and finer power control than the Artisan - but that should not be confused with better "engraving" control. Engraving control is purely a function of the operator (that's you, your brain and your hands), so the chance of flaws on the lift/grab is up to you, not the equipment... Lots of very fine work is being done with Artisans.

As far as a beginner is concerned, the choice between an Artisan and a Classic should really just be a price consideration. If you watch the few re-sales that occur with Lindsay equipment, you could easily start off with an Artisan, and should you ever want to upgrade to a Classic, resell the Artisan with surprisingly little loss of value.

Best of luck.

Tom