Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Steel

Default Noise level

Hello Engraving Folks!
I have been lurking and learning on the forum for a few months now and I think I'm ready to take the plunge.
My situation is that I'll be working in my apartment which is a pretty open space. The thing I'm concerned about is the noise level of running a graver through stainless. I haven't really been able to ascertain from the videos what noise level that this work will produce. For instance, is it enough to have my upstairs neighbors getting upset?
Will it annoy my wife watching TV in the next room if the door is open (or closed)?
Any insight you can provide will be appreciated.
Phil
Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Noise level

Hi Phil,

If you are talking Steve L air gravers,that will not bother the guys upstairs or next door.
But within the same house next room family get used to it ,as they go by doing their own stuff.

So far I am okay I have not been chucked out of the premises by any third party !!

In saying that these air gravers don't make horrendous noise.

Try to visit someone who has an air graver to asses the level of noise.If you are particular about it, would be my advise.

SE

Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum

A little bit noisy. Ecspecially if you push on it. Normally like larger wind up cars zipping across the floor. Or like a blender wand. Louder than a fridge, in any case... You can easily talk over it tho. If you use a compressor for air flo, that is where the noise will come from. (haven't tried the silent-air).
Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Platinum

If you use a compressor there will be noise. For an urban apartment I would recommend using co2 for power. I have used co2 and the sound of the AirGraver (Lindsay) will not be annoying to those in another room.

RB
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile View Post
If you use a compressor there will be noise. For an urban apartment I would recommend using co2 for power. I have used co2 and the sound of the AirGraver (Lindsay) will not be annoying to those in another room.

RB
I wouldn't even THINK of using a compressor. I'm going to use the CO2 bottle I use for my airbrush.
Many thanks to you and everyone who responded. My Classic is on the way!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Platinum

HI grumphyphil,

Congratulations in advance in that case.

You can get silent air compressors,from what I am told they are quite good ,but I need to check them out.

SE

Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEngraver View Post
HI grumphyphil,

Congratulations in advance in that case.

You can get silent air compressors,from what I am told they are quite good ,but I need to check them out.

SE

Well thanks SE! I'm hoping a lot of years in art school and a lot of years butchering metal will translate well into this new venture.
Really, I don't understand compressors for this kind of work unless you live so far out in the boonies that getting a tank of of CO2 can't happen. That would be out beyond beer. No dice.
Grumpy
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Congratulations on your purchase!!, your going to have so much fun

Quote:
Really, I don't understand compressors for this kind of work
Phil, you've got a refrigerator right? My compressorunit is fitted with a compressor that would normally be inside a refrigerator. So silent that you cant hear it over the radio.
And I would rather go with compressed air than Co2 as the whole world is trying to limit its admittion.
Anyways, have fun engraving.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Houwer View Post
Congratulations on your purchase!!, your going to have so much fun

Phil, you've got a refrigerator right? My compressorunit is fitted with a compressor that would normally be inside a refrigerator. So silent that you cant hear it over the radio.
And I would rather go with compressed air than Co2 as the whole world is trying to limit its admittion.
Anyways, have fun engraving.
Thanks Daniel!
I think if you investigate it, you'll find that the "footprint" of a CO2 bottle used for this purpose (like my airbrush) is actually less than a compressor in the USA since we are not so grownup and "green" as the Dutch.
Believe me when I tell you that as a serious cyclist, I'm pretty sensitive to the issue.
All the Best,
Phil