Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Copper

Smile Beginer seeking advise

Hi, I am new to this and have never engraved before. I am seriously thinking of engraving trumpet’s bells. Any advise would be appreciated. Currently I do not any tools .

I have visited with an engraver and he advised me to buy Lindsay’s tools. After visiting Steve’s web page I am thinking about a foot controlled Classic AirGraver. I would like to purchased used tools if possible.

Thanks, Little John
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Beginer seeking advise

John,The Lindsay Classic & the templates for sharping would be a good choise to start with.If you have any other questions just ask this forum has many talented engravers with good advice.J.J.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Platinum

Hi Little John,

Firstly Welcome to the Engraving Forum.

At one time I also wished to get a used Lindsay air graver and subsequently ended buying a new one as it is not very often that engravers who have the Lindsay air-gravers wish to part with them.

I would advise you to go for a new classic,either w/foot control or palm control, and templates, with a sharpening system,either the bench-stones or the power hone.

"
AirGravers and sharpeners have a three week trial return and three year parts and labor warranty. "

On used ones you loose out on the warranty.

http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...dular%20System

I can understand it also depends on your budget.
This is my opinion.

All the best.

SE

Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum

Little John,

Traditionally, brass instruments have been engraved with a flat graver using a technique known as wriggle tooling. If you check out this link you will see Jason DuMars using the technique on the bell of a saxaphone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5OEDVrOtRg

Click on the link under may signature to go to my illustrated glossary where you can learn about terms like flat graver and wriggle tool.

Regards,

RB