Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Steel

Default Rose

I have been "engraving" for about three weeks now. I am getting better, but I know I have a long way to go. I am on disability and all I have to go by is a few books and a few videos to try to learn this craft. Anyway, I'm working on it everyday and I hope I am getting better. I am having a hard time with my Lindsay Artisan tool. It seems like I have to "hold back" or it wants to take off on me. I don't have to "push" at all. I am constantly trying to hold back on the engraver in my hand, or it will cut faster than I can keep up with it. It's like it is pulling me into the design. Is there a "trick" to keep the engraver from trying to pull my hand? I've got the idle cut way down and I can barely feel it in my hand on idle. I barely push on the foot pedal. If I push the foot pedal down too far, it just takes off across my practice place. I've got it set at 65 pounds of air pressure. I hardly have to touch the practice plate to engrave. It just seems like it is too sensitive.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Rose

Cut your air pressure down. I normally run at about 40psi.
I have the Classic with the stroke adjustment collar that lets me adjust the power at the handpiece. You'll have to tune your power level with the air pressure.

Try about 40 for general use, 20-30 for fine shading, and only crank it up for hard work.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Steel

Default Re: Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD View Post
Cut your air pressure down. I normally run at about 40psi.
I have the Classic with the stroke adjustment collar that lets me adjust the power at the handpiece. You'll have to tune your power level with the air pressure.

Try about 40 for general use, 20-30 for fine shading, and only crank it up for hard work.
Steve, I did what you said and it worked great!!! Now I have more control and all I do is "guide" the graver. It doesn't pull me at all. Thanks for the tip and the help. This is the greatest forum!