Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,043. Welcome to our newest member, Chaps1
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Steel

Default Older style engraving vise

This is my vise. It's kinda small but holds plates pretty well. I told Steve about it and sent him some pics. He suggested I post them here but I couldn't so he's going to post them for me. Anyway, I really wanted to get the stamp in focus but couldn't. It says PAT'D MAY 2 - 1899.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Older style engraving vise

VERY cool vice. I love old tools and that looks great.

Congratulations in having such a nice old vice.

Peter
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Copper

Smile Re: Older style engraving vise

Nice Vise!
I want to buy one of the felt (?) 'rounds,' vise supports, whatever they are. Anyone know of a source?
Thanks,
haheffernan@yahoo.com
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Gold

Check out "Allcraft" they're in NYC part #26.360 $43.05.
cassie
Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Copper

Thank you, Cassie; I appreciate your time and obvious trouble. And now I know this is a 'current' thing, not the same age as your vise. Let me know if I can return the favor-perhaps with Alaskan things, from gold in the impure alloy of melted gold dust (nuggets sell at a premium), to unusual silver nuggets, to more mundane things like chunks of the Alaska oil pipeline, semi-precious rock-minerals, mammoth ivory, bone, etc. Small amounts of non-pricey things are for asking, pricey ones are my best source prices-not from me.
Last, the reason I want one of the felt (?) rings to hold the vise base I have machined, with the whole assemblage going on a "swivel", as in chair swivel base, sitting on on a copper plate upon the swivel (had the 3/8" copper and has more inertia than steel; also have lots of tungsten, much more inertia, but a problem to melt/deal with chemically, etc, any way costs more even 'potting it' in epoxy, which is pricey; the method I currently use. Now, all of this is a first time for me, so I probably won't like the whole thing since it is a fact tht the first time one builds what one thinks they want, and only the third trial approximates the thing actuall wanted, especially with very personal things like tools. Tools are very personal, and one either designs the tool for him/herself or grows accustomed through use, to a tool and makes it his personal thing. (Someone said that, most probably not me; but seems a truism from my experience; so to the wider purview.)
Best,
harvey
update: just blew 12-14 minutes to learn--through the me-toos and spam add-ons-- that Allcraft Jewelry Supply Company
(212) 279-7077
135 W 29th St, #205, New York, NY 10001, has a website for sale-but no functioning website I can reach. Is this the right place? It is Sat. am, 5am AST and I will call, but www is easier when in a hurry and I am. So hence ?
thx again,
h

Last edited by haheffernan; 03-21-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: accuracy; clarity
Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Steel

HI i WAS VERY INTERESTED IN YOUR VISE IT APPEARS THAT THIS VISE WAS MADE UP FOR A SPECIAL REASON I SAY THIS BECAUSE OF THE ODD SHAPE JUST A GUESS IT WAS DESIGNED FOR PLATE ENGRAVING. I'V SEEN SEVERAL BLOCKS THAT WERE MADE UP FOR CERTAIN JOBS. THERE WAS ONE I REMEMBER THAT WAS MUCH SMALLER THAN THE AVERAGE VISE WE ALWAYS CALLED THEM BLOCKS OLD NAME I GUESS BUT THIS BLOCK THAT I MENTION WAS VERY SMALL AND WAS USED TO HOLD FLATWARE AND IT WAS VERY GOOD FOR THAT WORK. YEARS AGO THERE WAS A GREAT DEAL OF STERLING SILVER FLATWARE THAT HAD TO BE ENGRAVE. I CAN REMEMBER AT A TIME WHEN THE ORDERS WERE PILED UP WAITING FOR ENGRAVING. SOMETIMES IT WOULD BE SEVERAL WEEKS BEFORE YOU COULD PROMISE AN ORDER. THATS WHEN STERLING SILVER FLATWARE WAS THE STYLE. THE JEWELRY ENGRAVERS WERE KEPT BUSY IN THOSE DAYS. I WAS APPROACHED BY A COUPLE OF JEWELRY ENGRAVERS IN THOSE DAYS IF I WOULD BE INTERESTED
IN SOME EXTRA WORK. WHICH I WAS AT THAT. IT WASN'T MY TRADE , IWAS
DOING DIE CUTING AT THAT TIME BUT HAD NO PROBLEM DOING SOME EXTRA WORK FOR THE MONEY THAT I BADLY COULD USE i WOULD PROBLY SHOCK YOU IF I TOLD YOU HOW MUCH THEY WERE PAYING SO I'M NOT GOING TO DO THAT ANYWAY THANKS FOR SHOWING THE VISE jOHN88 i GUESS I'M A BIT LONG WINDED
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Steel

I have an almost identicle vise. Mine does not have a date or the swanky key. (Mine came with a key from an old roller skate). It also has all of the chrome worn off but appears to be the same vise.
Looks like you have to publish the pic to a host in order to post it.

Mark
Old 07-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Steel

The vise looks cool !
Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldj View Post
This is my vise. It's kinda small but holds plates pretty well. I told Steve about it and sent him some pics. He suggested I post them here but I couldn't so he's going to post them for me. Anyway, I really wanted to get the stamp in focus but couldn't. It says PAT'D MAY 2 - 1899.

that is a really great old tool good to see it still in use jmj(john)
Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Copper

Check out Patent # 624179 May 2, 1899. I believe it will provide some answers.

JS
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Steel

e-bay has them from 15 -35 bucks
Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Steel

did you get this off e-bay around 6 weeks ago I tryed to bid on one but stopped at 25 and it went for 35 like the older stuff
Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum

kaya,

JLDJ posted those pictures in March of 2009 so he didn't get it 6 weeks ago. BTW, I will buy every vise there is like this one for $35.00. I have never seen any enrgaving vise go that cheap on ebay. Maybe the one you saw slipped by all of the engravers. Most of the old ones go for well over $100.00