Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Copper

Wink Hello

Hi,
I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I am very interested in learning to engrave brass and silver for muzzleloader arms. I have had an interest in engraving for some time but never had the time to persue this art form. I guess truth be told, I'm a little intimidated after looking as some of the beauty you all create. As I stated earlier I am currently deployed so I will not be able to attend a resident style course or use power tooling. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might be able to learn while I'm overseas? I realize this might be a crazy question but as I get older I realize time flys past. I'm truly excited to have access to this forum Thank you all for your assistance. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko155 View Post
Hi,
I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I am very interested in learning to engrave brass and silver for muzzleloader arms. I have had an interest in engraving for some time but never had the time to persue this art form. I guess truth be told, I'm a little intimidated after looking as some of the beauty you all create. As I stated earlier I am currently deployed so I will not be able to attend a resident style course or use power tooling. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might be able to learn while I'm overseas? I realize this might be a crazy question but as I get older I realize time flys past. I'm truly excited to have access to this forum Thank you all for your assistance. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Ko155,

Welcome to the Engraving Forum.

I dont know how available resources for engraving are in that part of the world.

Your best bet would be to read up from books and use manual palm push or h/chisel in any rotating bench-vise to practice and start off ;

Manual tools-( in your free time)
http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...Graver%20Tools

Books;
http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...rview.htm#BOOK

Techniques and Resources;
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=419

For learning at present.

When back home get all all you afford.Including a starters engraving course for someone near you ;

http://www.engravingclasses.com/

You can ask and learn on the Forum too.

SE

Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum

ko155,
Thanks for your service. Do yourself a BIG favor and purchase the book at the link provided. It is an engraving course in itself. It will teach you almost everything you would learn in a formal basic engraving course....except you won't have the benefit of having someone explain things in person. It is geared to exactly what you want to do, and unlike many books is step-by-step with accompanying pictures and drawings in simple, easy to understand language.

http://www.airgraver.com/Engraving-H...-Schippers.htm

Dave
Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum

I'm sure there are great artisans living locally. Why waste the opportunity. Learn what they are good at there. Then apply it when you get home.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Copper

Thank you all for your advice. I believe I will try and find the manual push or hammer chisel that you suggested. Everything has to be sent over here as nothing is available locally. So it may take me some time to get started. As I stated in my first post, I am still a little intimidated at the skill that is shown here. Do you find that this is more a skill that is learnable or is it mostly talent? I have every intention of doing my best and learning as much as possible I just want to be realistic in my inherent abilities. Again, Thank you all and I will keep everyone posted as to my progress.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Copper

I don't know if the locals do much engraving, at least not near Bagram. I'm sure there are some but the likelyhood of me finding them is pretty slim. We aren't allowed outside the wire unless we are on mission then our focus is entirely different. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Platinum

Ko155,

Dont go out ,learn with your computer on the Forum is my advise.

You will get better as you progress with learning and practicing,gun engraving requires some experience at advanced level.
First do and learn basic engraving and cut the different metals,start with copper then brass then steel and see how it goes
We all have some skills in us you sometimes need to develop it by learning.You could start out by drawing designs now till the tools come,drawing designs is extremely important in engraving.For that only a pencil and paper is needed ?

SE
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Copper

SEngraver,
That is great advice. Thank you. I will find some drawing exercises to fill the time. Again, Thank you very much.

Kevin
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Platinum

Hi,

You are most welcome Kevin.
Draw outlines of anything, a bottle top,a spoon, a butter knife,different shapes and try drawing designs in them.

SE
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum

Kevin,
I am going to be adamant here. You want to engrave muzzleloaders. The book I recommended is SPECIFICALLY oriented toward that using hammer and chisel, and that's how you want to start. It teaches you what you need, how to use it, how to sharpen them and how to draw and develop your designs. And it is in simple, understandable verbage. Get it before you do anything else. Otherwise, you will flounce around and waste time heading down the wrong track.

When I was in the service, base camps had craft and machine shops that the troops could use and I'm sure the most of the stuff you need to get started is available on base. A small ball pein hammer will get you going. Your gravers can be made by fitting a metal 3/8" rod fitted with a set screw. Your bits can be 1/8" HSS lathe bits. The book will tell you how to grind the angles needed without a lot of expensive doodads. You can get those when you are deployed back home. Soldiers have always been able to find field expedient methods to accomplish their missions.

BUY THE BOOK.......everything else will come later.

Dave
Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Platinum

I haven't this book yet ,but people talk about it very well,is in my wish list,i hope some day can buy it,i have see that is avaible from the Steve shop too
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Copper

Hello again,
I'll do that. I'm sure I can find a multitude of different unusual items here to outline. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kevin
Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Copper

Dave,

I will get the book. I think that is a great suggestion. As for craft shops, I'm not to sure about them over here. I'll check out the USO and MWR tents though to see what they have. We do have some aviation related shops here at the hangar that I should be able to make some tools and get scraps to practice with. I really appreciate everyones advice and help on this forum. It is very helpful.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Platinum

Hi Kevin,

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2104

This is a free e book of Drawing Acanthus leaves,you can download free.

SE
Old 07-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Copper

SE,

That is a great idea. Thank you for the tip. I am also putting Mr. Schipper's book on my wish list. I think it will very closely address my interests.

Thank you again.

Kevin

Last edited by ko155; 07-09-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: I left out content
Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Copper

Hello again all,
One more question. Is there a forum on this site for used equipment? Maybe hand gravers or other equipment that might need some TLC but still usable for a reasonable price? Any and all info would be great.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko155 View Post
SE,

That is a great idea. Thank you for the tip. I am also putting Mr. Schipper's book on my wish list. I think it will very closely address my interests.

Thank you again.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I have read lots of good posts on Mr.Schippers book, but I dont have a copy of it as yet.
SE
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEngraver View Post
Hi Kevin,

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2104

This is a free e book of Drawing Acanthus leaves,you can download free.

SE
I downloaded this book. I have just started reading through it. Seems like a great source. Thanks for the hint.