Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,738. Welcome to our newest member, KarriG
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Steel

Default necklace design, advice wanted

Hey guys, I wanted to enter an online exhibition for jewelry that Ganoksin recently announced a call for entries (if interested, it's free: http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/duu ) I'd like to practice, going through the motions of design, prep, creation, etc in order to better understand it. Mind taking a look at this necklace I designed and offer any advice?

The necklace's "bank note" "scroll" - top portion will be removable from the bottom, which is part of the design and something I have yet to consider as far as how I will be doing that. So it will have two layers and two chains. I contemplated whether or not I should just chop it in half then mirror it and making it symmetrical, in the past that's something I've been criticized for, which in this case since it is engraver/scroll inspired, hard to get away from. Chain has yet to be figured out, I'm thinking something along the lines of figure 8/infinity symbol chain links to match the overall figure. I'm not liking the bottom plate. Size of the middle piece will be approx. 3" x 3.5" it will be pierced with a jewelers saw.

Any advice would be greatly appretiated, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ganoksin entry.jpg (109.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum

Default Re: necklace design, advice wanted

The background layer looks a little sparse, especially when it's by itself. How about something a bit more like English Scroll, with some smaller 'leaves' tying the outer part together. Not really leaves, more just the backbone line of an English style leaf.

Also not sure on the center since what's right for it will depend on what the outer layer looks like.

Good start on an approach!

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Steel

Default Re: necklace design, advice wanted

Thanks SVD for the advice. Since I posted this I've had a change in design, I haven't had many creative minutes where I felt compelled to rework the design, but in saying that it changes the entire piece. The overal shape of the pictured front will move to the back, and the back piece will contain a geometric shape to incorporate and diversify the overal composition of curves, now with a geometric arrowhead shaped brass piece upfront...I'll need to work on this and hopefully I can grab some more feedback, many thanks.