Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,738. Welcome to our newest member, KarriG
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Steel

Default copper plate

This was originally done by Lucas van Leyden around 1509 A.D. entitled Triton and Siren in Tendrils. I found this in a copy of 'The renaissance engravers' page 219.
I should mention that at my skill level I do not attempt to sell engravings, I give them to friends, I think that keeps me safe from copy write infringement. I hope!
I would like to put some type of coating on this to protect from tarnish. I have been looking at Brownell's 'Bake on finish's'... Does anyone know what temp copper will change colors at? These types of finish demand 350 degrees. Or does some one know a better way. I have used simple clear spray paint while I am working on plate and they are NOT durable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooper Plate 001.jpg (110.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cooper Plate 003.jpg (110.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: copper plate

Chad,
I love your engraving. Its pretty much like the original
About the not tarnishing finish, well, I did a Roland Baptiste lockplate design once and just polished it, cleaned it with alcohol and rubbed it in with oil and it has darkened a bit over the last 3 years but with that it gained some quality too. There surely are some sprays and laquers that will keep your work from tarnishing but after some time it will be more work to remove those laquers than it would be to just whipe off your engraved piece with a soft silver cloth and maybe some polish agent, cleaning and oiling.
Just my 2 cents.

Your engraving is great though
Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum

Hi Chad, nice work! I guess that genuine 'Renaissance wax' could do the job perfectly for preserving your copperplates. (you can google it up and read all details) Greetings, Paul
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Gold

Hi Chad,

Very nice work, keep going You are doing Great. Do you still use the handle I made for you. I still have a few handles if you need another one.

Best Wishes,

JT
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum

Keep posting, keep practicing those masters, they will blow you away with their amazing consistency in shading, etc etc etc!

My page on Facebook
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum

Try this site, it's amazing:

http://www.virtuelles-kupferstichkabinett.de

you'll find closeups from the best of the best from that period

My page on Facebook
Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Platinum

Chad,

I wouldn't concern yourself about the copyright since the original is over 500 years old. If the image appears in a book under current copyright you could not copy the other information on the page put there by the publisher but the publisher is using the image as a copyright free image.

As you continue to copy the masters you will eventually be able to go off in your own direction if you choose. In the mean time you are producing wonderful original gifts that should be treasured by the recipients.

Gert,

Thanks for the link. The site allows one to blow up the image for better study than if you saw it in a museum. Last week my wife and I visited Vanderbilt's Biltmore mansion in Asheville, North Carolina where they have on display the largest and most complete collection of Albrecht Dürer engravings I have ever seen in one place. When the house was built, George Vanderbilt was such a fan of Dürer that he had one of the fireplace mantels carved with Dürer's monogram and his dates of birth and death. Over the mantel was the largest print engraving I have ever seen. Dürer engraved it on numerous wood blocks that were joined to make one massive image. Given the work Chad is doing, I am sure that the Biltmore collection is something he would like to see. Nevertheless, the Virtuelles Kupferstichkabinett’ site lets us examine these works more closely and at our leisure.

Cheers,

Roger
Old 10-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Steel

Gert
Thanks for posting that amazing site! It is some serious study material for anyone interested in art in general, especially for those (myself included) with limited drawing skills.
Thanks again
Dave
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Steel

Thank you for you many fine comments. I uploaded a little better pic with the help of teenager.
Daniel you said you just rubbed it with oil... what kind, gun or auto? Your right natural aging does add appeal but in working on this I have noticed that using a polishing / wadding compound will remove detail, so in theory if I keep polishing all my work goes away.
Gert amazing web site, thanks for sharing.
Roger thanks for free legal advice I had thought that some one would have rights in a similar manner as say the Mona Lisa, I thought you couldn't put her mug on a t-shirt without permission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooper Plate 005 edit.jpg (187.2 KB, 0 views)