Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Copper

Default Here to learn...

My name is Edward, I'm recently disabled and have been a musician all my life. I recently started playing again and have acquired some amazing vintage instruments (yay Ebay) and some of them are amazingly engraved, and some are rather plain (my C trumpet is bare.) I found this place and have decided that I'd love to learn this art. I've been doing Dremel-carved PC case sides for many yeaars, and I'd love to learn this to apply to my instruments. In my new role as impromptu musical instrument technician, I figure it'll be well worth my time...
Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Steel

Default Re: Here to learn...

Edward, welcome to the forum. I am new to engraving also. I've been cutting for almost 6 months now. There is an interesting video on you-tube showing a gentleman hand push graving a saxophone, I believe. The video may have originated here. I just joined this forum the other day, so I am still learning my way around. Push graving would be an inexpensive way to get into engraving to see if it's for you or not. Check out the video and good luck!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Here to learn...

Hi. I to have a handicap, but arms, hands, eyes still work just fine and I think you should give it a real try. When I was in jewelry school learning to engrave there was a class mate that had such bad eye sight that he almost had his face on the work he was engraving. He was the best engraver in the school. A tuch of a feather and smoothness of synthetic oil. He engraved silverplate without a slip or mistake, most likely because of his handicap, don't know. Best of luck. chickenscratcher