Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Steel

Default PC as Planisher

Here is my latest piece using the Lindsay PC as a chasing, planishing and sculpting tool after the major forms are creating with chasing and repousse.

This item is on 22 G Argentium silver measuring 6”x8”. The background is done with a liner graver.

By using planishers varying from about 1.5 mm down to almost needle point, I can create varying textures, perhaps somewhat like bulino. However, I’m planishing, not cutting metal away. Because the chasing and repousse create that third dimension I’m moving (groping) toward a middle ground among all the above techniques. Regards, Jim
Old 06-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Platinum

Default Re: PC as Planisher

That is beautiful Jim!

I have used my FC for planishing the background on Coat of Arms engraving, after excavating the shield area. I seldom use that technique any more for that appplication, but it is good to remember the versatility of these tools.

Tom
Old 06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Steel

Thanks, Tom. I realize I'm pushing the meaning of planish (making planar or smooth) but a texture (pits and ridges) is imparted on the way to perfect "planishing". That varying texture can be utilized in these bas relief works to enhance that third dimension. Jim
Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Platinum

As usual, fascinating work - and very different from most of what we see here.

At some point I've got to make time (and punches) to try this stuff out - it's just too interesting not to.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Steel

Steve, Thanks, much. You might also see about taking a week's course in chasing and repousse from Val Yotkov (www.valentinyotkov.com), which I did about 4 years ago. Also, here on the West Coast we have Davide Bigazza (www.dbcollection.net) who's also a master at this and teaches. Regards, Jim
Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Gold

Hi Jim,

Great to see your work! You've been busy - a flea, and now flowers. I love the sensuous whorls and the way you've captured the edges of the flowers and leaves rolling over. Beautiful control and technique on your chasing and repousse; what a plus to have the PC to augment your hammer.

I'd like to see a close-up of the background, or perhaps you could describe it for me. You mentioned a liner for the background - from the photo it almost looks (in the lower right quadrant) as if there is a patchwork kind of pattern with the liner work oriented differently in each of the patches. Is this the case, or am I reading something into it that isn't there? Regardless, I'm really enjoying seeing your creations - what else do you have growing in the garden?

As ever,
Doug
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Steel

Doug, Thanks. You are correct about the creation of a random patchwork on the background. This is an old pen and ink drawing technique. It creates a sense of background movement, but being random, doesn't pull the eye in a particular direction. It allows all the movement to be within the flowers and leaves as you sense.

Most recently the bearded irises bloomed and I posted a composition before (also to be seen on www.luminousglass.com in the Metals Gallery).

Next I'm doing water lilies but want to get back to the bugs. I have a neice who's now engaged to a marine bacteriologist. We're already brainstorming on the possibilities there!

Regards, Jim
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Platinum

Jim, Your work is very interesting as K.C mentioned. I love looking at it and admiring the detail.Why do you use argentium silver instead of sterling? I assume for the tarnish aspects. It is hard to tell from the pictures but the darker areas are just shadows. Just my thoughts but some strange looking fish might be cool to do. Maybe like a deep sea dangler? D.Douglas
Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Steel

D. Douglas, Thanks for the feedback. Argentium silver has two big advantages: it doesn't tarnish, so I can frame these behind glass and they'll stay the same. Also, it doesn't form firescale when heated and I do need to anneal them to around 1100 F a few times when forming them.

I definitely have fish on my wish list. Deep sea creatures sound very interesting also. Also, the microscopic realm is full of interesting shapes and forms. So much to do.... Jim