Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Copper

Default Hello All!

Whelp, clearly I am new to this as well given I am introducing myself. My name is Jesse B, from Lubbock/Wichita Falls, Texas. Graduate student at Midwestern State University and currently working an internship at Museum of Texas Tech University, Lubbock Lake Landmark.
Anyways, I have been working with leather for about a year now as a hobby (that has gotten out of control) and have been interested in making my own conchos and maybe some buckles. I took interest pretty fast and hard once I started reading though the forum and seeing some of the beautiful work on here.

Like, alot of the others I am on a low budget as well, but will be ordering some hand tool in the next week or so, where I plan to dive in head first.

I seem to have a decent understanding of the hand tools I need, but can anyone suggest a good alternative to an expensive engraving vise?

Thanks ahead of time! Looking forward to this!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Gold

Default Re: Hello All!

Hi Jesse, try and google "homemade engraving ball" or something close to that. People get creative when they lack the $$$. Used bowling balls, etc. come into mind. You will be surprized what is out there.

All the best in your quest.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPenguinLeather View Post
Whelp, clearly I am new to this as well given I am introducing myself. My name is Jesse B, from Lubbock/Wichita Falls, Texas.

I seem to have a decent understanding of the hand tools I need, but can anyone suggest a good alternative to an expensive engraving vise?

Thanks ahead of time! Looking forward to this!
Hi Jesse,
Welcome to the Engraving Forum.

When you buy tools but the best ,they always pay back for themselves ;

http://www.airgraver.com/vises.htm

All the Best
SE