Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Steel

Default Too old to start?

Well, I am painfully new to the world of graving but not to the world. Just getting the bug and found an experienced graver to take me under his wings. Will I live long enough to be any good at this?
He has GRS stuff but I am leaning towards Lindsey's products for my use. Is it a bad idea to learn on one and use the other?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Too old to start?

GunNut,From one gun nut to another,the Lindsay engraving tools would be your best choice.J.J.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Platinum

Welcome Gun Nut,never is too late to learn in the life!
Go for the Lindsay Airgraver,is the best tool in the market and if you have patience and a little artistic background you will have nice results very soon with some months of practice
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Steel

Thanks for the encouragement and the warm welcome.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Platinum

Gun Nut,

I see by your profile that you are 56. That is not necessarily too old. The question is have you done anything artistic in your life up to now? The technical/skill side of engraving can be learned in a couple of years but as we commonly say here you can not engrave what you can't draw.

All of the students that I have instructed have had a struggle with the art side of engraving unless they had done artistic projects from an early age.

When I wrote American Engravers - The 21st Century about the top engravers in the US, I discovered that the common thread in each engraver's biography is that each had been doing artistic things of some kind since youth.

Some of my colleagues on this forum, who are successful engravers, take it for granted that everyone has been involved in art since youth as they have and thus think that anyone can become a good engraver with modest effort and the right tools.

Most of the wannabes that I meet are full of questions about tools, and equipment and never think of asking about how to create the designs and get them on the gun.

So, without knowing what your art background is, if any, your question is really hard to answer.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Platinum

Your not going to get any younger so quit worrying about it and get started. The tools have an excellent secondary market if you fail. It's an enjoyable process and a great bunch of folks that are involved.

My Mom couldn't draw a lick but she was an excellent leather crafter. Maybe not world class but she made nice stuff and had fun. I approach engraving from an "art" perspective but know many that approach it from a "craft" approach. The first trys to come up with original designs where as the other will use patterns and designs created by others. Both can create excellent work. It's kind of like some folks are great song writers and others great performers. Which is the "craftsman" and which is the "artist"? When done properly it's all the same.

For me engraving is mostly about it being an enjoyable pastime. I'm far more motivated to carve than I've ever been to draw.

I figure as long as your having fun who cares if your good. It's not flying, nobody is going to die if your a crappy engraver.

If your planning a new money making career the above advice is bad.

John
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Platinum

I concur with Mr Bliele..

I dont have an artistic bone in my body, but i engraver as much as possible in the beginning to learn how to hold the graver, learn what it wants from me.. the technical merit, which I put to use in my jewellery setting work, but to be honest, because I dont have the ability to draw and imagine up art, I find myself sitting in front of the ball looking for inspiration and finding none.. so i revert back to looking on the web for designs and transfer them for fun..

I have made peace with the fact that I will never be a "real" engraver but the tool still has a MASSIVE vital role to me.

HOWEVER

if you are not artistic naturally, dont despair, transfer systems are pretty good and designs on the web are PLENTYFULL. even if you invest in a dirt cheap co2 laser system ($900/ebay) to layout over uneven surfaces you can still do a good job.

I am not a great jeweller either but what I have found is that when you copy often enough you develop muscle memory and willl develop your own style.

Best of luck with it all

regards
Chris
Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable. - (Sons of Anarchy)
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Steel

Talking Re: Too old to start?

Thanks to all of you. To answer some of your questions, I use to draw some when I was younger but have been doing other things, like making a living. The fellow I will be learning from, told me today, bring pencile and paper with me. Guess I will first learn again to draw.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Steel

I will learn to spell later...
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Gold

Gun Nut,
Welcome to the forum. I am a rookie at this, too . I cross trained from tool work to jewelry at 58. I am now 63 and looking forward to a 3 day lettering class next month if all works out. You have made a good decision to get an instructor . He will help you make the most of your efforts . You stated you will have to learn to draw again. I would say that all you have to do is reaquant yourself with it and it will come . As for the spelling , don't waist any time worrying about it ,we will know what you are saying! Best Regards Cookie
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Steel

Welcome Gun Nut. You're never too old for anything. Period. That said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile View Post
Most of the wannabes that I meet are full of questions about tools, and equipment and never think of asking about how to create the designs and get them on the gun.
That's because of our instant download, stock art and design, society. And it's good... and bad.

What most (noobs) don't realize (IMO), or they don't realize it yet, is that the value of engraving (or any art for that matter) isn't in the work itself.

The value is the execution of the design in which the artist's (read engraver here) original design and vision for that unique piece is expressed as a singular idea based on the project itself.

I look at it as: "There can be only one."

Stock designs are fine to learn on, but Leonard Francolini isn't downloading designs for his colt creations. Mike Dubber and all of the incredible engravers who are renowned for their skill, are actually known for their unique style. The way they create and transfer a vision onto a substrate.

Just a point of note. Lots of new engravers think if they can learn the techniques of "engraving" that they can make a killing, or at least a living.

I say, Yes, and No. The 55th engraving of a stock design transfer is going to sell at a much lower price than singular creations.

And if you can't translate a client's vision into the design they envision on whatever it is they want engraved - you'll have trouble with commissioned pieces.

The value, and the sales, of a successful engraver is in the original style of their designs and their work. The ability to take an idea and create from it.

And that's where the real engraving work starts.

Again, this is simply my opinion.

The good part is we're here to help, Gun Nut.
scottd.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum

At our age learning is not the problem, it's remembering.
I received my classic PC engraver yesterday it is the most outstanding tool I have ever used. Now if I can just find out where they sell talent at I'm good.
71 in Nebraska.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Gold

Streams always flowed and passed
they dried and time passed
So many Khan, so many king
left the throne and passed
The world is a window
Everyone has come and looked through it and passed.

Yunus Emre (1238 - 1320)

Your age is not matter. It is how you will look through the window.
This is the art maybe it will not fulfil your pocket but it will your soul.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Copper

I sure hope your not to old, Im 58 and trying to start also..
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Platinum

HI,
All you folks calling yourselves old,DON'T DO THAT,if your heart wishes and the pockets assist go for it ! ( Respectfully )
I have seen guys graduate in universities even in 70s to 80s !!

All The Best
SE