Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Copper

Default Anyone in or near to Northern NJ?

I am interested in trying out the Airgraver before investing in one. I do have a Pro 4000 Oil free Air compressor (3/4 HP). My object is to engrave names onto doorplates. Many years ago I learned how to engrave by hand but I haven't done it in years. Now, in retirement, I'd like to start in again. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks. Mark Wright
Old 06-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Copper

Default Re: Anyone in or near to Northern NJ?

I'm not close to Northern NJ, I'm about 6 hours away in Rochester, NY and I have Two Classic foot control (one is older, the other quite current) and a Classic Palm Control... I will warn you though... You won't see much in the way of expertise in my shop... I'm an absolute beginner with what I feel are the best available tools!

I also have several Lindsay Templates and a Diamond hone, so, you can see some great gear if you visit, even if you won't see any great engraving!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Copper

Thanks, Mike, You are right that Rochester is pretty far off so probably I can't just drop by but I will keep it in mind when and if I am in the area. I did some engraving by hand with traditional gravers, made my own handles and worked with a master engraver in England almost 40 years ago! Life intruded. Now that I am retired I want to get back to it. The air graver never existed in those days. I suppose, as in all things, just doing it makes you better and better. And we all learn by mistakes. If I were not involved in daily parent care (92 and almost 98) I would jump in the car and head up to Rochester. Anyway, keep working and thanks so much for the offer of a look. Best, Mark
Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Copper

Hi Mike, Despite the long trip, I think I'd like to visit and have a look at your gravers and sharpening templates, etc. I will have to coordinate a trip with my daily commitments to parent care but I can schedule a visit at your convenience. I am thinking of some time in July or even August after the 1st week. Any preferred days of the week? I expect I will only occupy about an hour of your time. Thanks, Mark
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Copper

Mondays and Fridays are pure bedlam for me, so Tuesday-Thursday is best for me. I'll send you a private message with my phone number.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Copper

Thanks, Mike. I have to work out a good time here so it may have to be in August. I will give you plenty of warning. Again, thanks. Mark