Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Steel

Default practice 12 guage

Well here is my most recent project a 12 gauge single shotgun that my father had laying around in his car garage it was very rusty and pitted with rust took me some time to just sand it down and get it fairly smooth to even start the process. After doing my smoke pull I started drawing out my design (by hand) but I have learned that I should use my computer more my lines are not as even as I would have liked them to be. Even though this is my first shot gun I have ever engraved on, with the different curves and fun obstacles I really did learn a lot on what next I need to do when I do my next gun,
For one thing I cut my outlines way too deep and that caused problems later on when I removed the back ground my outlines where either to thick or to thin, and I think my scroll heads are too thick and I will need to make adjustments next time I draw them out, I plan on using my adobe illustrator more for the lines to be more even. I did like the shading and I got much better at it on the second side (the side without the name “sears on it”) here is some pics of the process that I went through, the only problem is I didn’t take pitchers of it when it was very rusty to show you what had to be done to get it ½ way shiny.
I added some gun blueing at the end to give it more of a old look and it kinda took some of the luster away from it I don’t know if I like it with the blueing or not( I can always take it off later I suppose) and with my pitchers I can see more of my shading mistakes but practice like this will only help to improve the skills .

this was very fun to do. maybe after 10 more years of doing it the work i am turning out will be more like yours.

or i can think of it this way for all you new people to engraving this will make you feel better it is hard to compare work with others that have been doing engraving for most all of there life.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Platinum

Default Re: practice 12 guage

No!! Your works are excellent! I can see how you willing share your experience with others and I can see your works are full of love! That's the most beautiful art in the world. It is far better than the works of those very famous engraver who said "I cannot help you anymore" to a newbie like me!!! I was really frustrated seriously when hearing such words!!!

I enjoy so much and learn a lot in your step by step photos. I don't have a gun to engrave but I will try, at least many many sketches......Thanks.
Please keep post your good works.

Zernike

Last edited by Zernike Au; 10-10-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Steel

Thank you I am happy you liked it !

I was worried I posted too many pitchers. I seem to learn more when people use pitchers more. I am looking forward to doing more items. I will share what I finish . I am glad that every one on this forum are always positive and willing to help out.
I am always open to suggestions on how to improve my engraving or design work if you have any. Please feel free to help me out .
I know after I draw a design I wait like 4 days and look at it upside down and backwards and forwards and make adjustments all the time so if you see things I don’t great please share.
Thank you.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Platinum

I can notice that your curve are not very smooth. You may need a rather longer time in sitting in front of the computer to use the Illustrator to smooth the curves but after you small them all, you will find they are all very dull mechanical curve!!!

My hand shake seriously so I cannot draw good curve as well but I found everytime before I draw anything, I draw freehand circle for many times, maybe drawing the same circle for 5 minutes, clockwise and then counter-clockwise, I move my whole arm without tilt or twist my wrist, and my finger also no action, then I can have a good warm up, and then when I draw the curve, it can be better....
Recently I read some books about penmenship for studying the lettering engraving, they call this "drill exercise" which really can help to improve the quality of the curves, both in handwriting, drawing or designing the scrolls... hope you can find it useful.

zernike
Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Platinum

Very nice work my friend. I don't know how you can say it is a "practice gun". I would be very proud of it as I am sure you are. We all learn everyday. The day we stop learning is the day we believe we know it all and don't learn from "beginners". Beautiful job and I can't wait to see the next one!
Rich :willy_nilly:
Old 10-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Your work is coming along nicely shonn. well done

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/