Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Platinum

Default From Norway

Hi there, Marius from Norway here.. Usually I work with leather, airbrush, pinstriping and goldleafing on motorcycles, and I got a request to try some engraving on some motorcycle parts.. so here I am :-)

I have always wanted to try and learn to engrave metal, but Norway is a small country and it´s hard to get tools and tips of how to start, so I registrered here hoping to get some starting help.

I wonder if anyone could help me to advice a good starting kit for hand engraving in metal. I`m not sure what all the tools are called or what I would need, or where to get it.. :-) So all help is preciated!

Marius
Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: From Norway

Hi Marius,

Great to have another European on the forum!

Your starting kit to engrave depends a bit on your engraving ability and your budget I think. If you are sure that you are going to engrave a lot, get a Lindsay Airgraver and sharpening system. If you want to try out first, get some pushengravers or a hammer and chissel.
The biggest problem is that with the airgraver engraving is easy to start with and you will have motivating results in no time but at a cost.
At a low cost you get push engravers or H&C but the learning curve is much slower especially in the beginning.

I remember a few people on this forum from Sweden. They had courses there too I believe.
Somewhere between Oslo and Stockholm.

Good luck with it!
Great site you have!

Daniel
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Platinum

I registrated Oct 2008, and yesterday I paid for my NotroG20 package.. it took a long time, but finally I´m almost there.. :-) A few days to finish my Nitro and some days in the air, flying to Norway and then I´m good to give it a try :-)

Maybe a reintroduction, but my situation is pretty much the same, unless now I soon own a NitroG20 and a dog... :-) I cant wait to get my hands on the tool :-)
Old 07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Platinum

[QUOTE=276ccm;19589]Hi there, Marius from Norway here.. Usually I work with leather, airbrush, pinstriping and goldleafing on motorcycles, and I got a request to try some engraving on some motorcycle parts.. so here I am :-)

I have always wanted to try and learn to engrave metal, but Norway is a small country and it´s hard to get tools and tips of how to start, so I registrered here hoping to get some starting help.

I wonder if anyone could help me to advice a good starting kit for hand engraving in metal. I`m not sure what all the tools are called or what I would need, or where to get it.. :-) So all help is preciated!

Marius[/QUOTE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI Marius,

Good to have you back,Congratulations on the engraving equipment which you have chosen well.
You have loads experiance which will also be useful to many here I am sure.
It may look silly but I reckon this is a useful link,at least for me till today ! !
I hope it is of use and helpful to you;

http://www.engravingschool.com/

All the best
SE
Old 07-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum

Thank you! The engravingschool will be pretty useful I guess.. looking forwared to the graver is shipped and I can wait start to wait for the mail man :-)
Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Platinum

HI Marius,

I hope you remembered some blanks,sharpening system and templates ?

All the best.
SE
Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Platinum

I think I got the basic to start.. :-) but I´m sure I´m hitting something in the basket again soon.. I see by FedEx that my stuff are at the "local" airport, so maybe by tomorrow

The package I bought:
NitroG20
Dual Regulators with Foot Control
Tungsten Dead blow piston
CarbaltXD graver blanks 5 pack
M42 graver blanks 5 pack
Lindsay Sharpener set with basic templates, Includes: Sharpening fixture, 6"x6' sharpening base, four diamond bench stones (260, 600, 1200, 2000), plus 4 templates: Universal, Detailing, 105, and Flat & Knife Combo
Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Platinum

Hi 276,

Super you got almost all the important equipment to start off with except the engraving vise and a turntable maybe a scope.

But that can always come later and you will be the one to decide when you need it...

Congratulations are in order

All the best
Good Luck
SE