Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,459. Welcome to our newest member, sbelcher
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Copper

Default H.P. Preis UE-3 Panto Engraver

I have recently acquired an H.P. Preis Panto Engraver. This is my first engraver so please excuse me if I use the wrong terms to explain what I am looking for.
Several things to understand how to make this machine function properly.
The first item I need is an owner's manual. The machine came without one.
Second is the scribing templates for letters. The largest fonts are only 5/8" tall. This yields an engraved letter of jus under 1/2". If I am adjusting things properly? I am looking for advice and a source for larger templates.
Third, though the current belts seem to be ok, I feel they are the weak link in the system. I need sources to purchase new round belts.
Lastly, I am curious about the history of the H.P.Preis Co. and an approximate date as to when my machine may have been manufactured.
I have more questions but these are the first ones that have my curiosity.
Thanks for any assistance.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 AM
Platinum

Default Re: H.P. Preis UE-3 Panto Engraver

G'day Ronnie,

I don't know if you checked out this website but the bulk of it is dedicated to hand engraving - not pantograph. There are a few members on the site who do utilize pantos you may get more assistance from perhaps one of the websites which is focused on these machines. A start could be this link https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HP_PreisUsers/info - this is an old site but with some research it could lead you to something better. As for parts you could try http://www.pantograph.co.uk/ and for a manual you may be able to download one from the net (I was able to do this for my Hobson-Taylor) - there are plenty of collectors and users who are more than happy to help out.

Good luck,
Roger
Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Steel

Here you will find a manual I have on my web site.http://www.iconobium.com/preisManual.3D5.pdf. i have this machine which was made about 1965. I also have an earlier diamond drag Preis I use for layout. My spindle machine is set to the 3 to 1 ratio and I produce templates from polymer plates used for letterpress printing. A photo of this machine is enclosed. The belts that came with it are actually large o-rings and are plenty strong for the light cuts I make.

panto1.jpg
Old 08-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Copper

Send a message via Skype™ to rhbaker

Hello Ronnie,

I did a quick Google search and found a PDF copy of an original owners manual. It says its for all Panto Engravers expect model 2D-4; published in 1971.

Here's the link

http://www.iconobium.com/preisManual.3D5.pdf
Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 AM
Copper

Ronnie, I have five pantographs and have regularly used them. Your machine is capable of good work. It should have ratios from 7:1 to 1.8:1. If you are getting a bit under 1/2 inch from a 5/8 inch font, the machine is probably set at 1.8:1. By adjusting the arm setting, you can get smaller finished work. If you want to go larger, you wiil require a larger font set. I am interested in small engraving on metal, and have some larger font sets that are surplus to my needs. I also have extra single lip cutter grinders. Let me know if you have any interest.

Jim