Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Gold

Default How to Use Sharpening Templates?

I want to make a "flat" graver with the Lindsay Knife & Flat Combo template.

The large template has 2 sides, & the small template has four sides. I don't know which sides of the templates go with the sides of the graver. Is this shown somewhere or is there a rule of thumb to follow? Same question applies to other templates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graver-flat.jpg (27.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum

Default Re: How to Use Sharpening Templates?

use the little templete first first for build the principal geometry,follow the numbers of this image:

and after use the large template to make the 45 face of the graver aun de heel,is very simple follow the number in order
Old 09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Gold

This is very helpful. Thanks very much.

I assume that for the Knife & Flat Combo, #1 is the top of the graver & #4 is the bottom, correct? Also, are there any drawings or guidelines on dimensions for the sides?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum

the order of the number is for the face that you have to the "bottom" when you sharp the graver, for the size , no there are'nt a guidelines because you can make the size that you need for the flats until the little one beguin a knife for this reason is a " combo"
Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 AM
Platinum

Hi Bildio

This is a link to a demo By Vilts on sharpening a flat ;

Script lettering on an old-old Zippo:
Sharpening with Lindsay sharpener - flat & knife

It is on this thread ;

http://www.engravingforum.com/showth...ighlight=vilts

SE
Old 09-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Gold

The video is very clear & helpful, but I'm still confused by something very basic & seemingly simple.

For the Knife & Flat Combo: When side #1 of the small template is on the plastic board, is the top or bottom of the graver being shaped?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Platinum

the number indicates the side of template that must support down when you sharpen
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthe View Post
the number indicates the side of template that must support down when you sharpen
but when #1 is down which part of the graver is being shaped? I think it's the top of the finished flat graver.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Platinum

Do what I do (so you don't do what I did and make a graver upside down) - put on the large template and grind your face first. Yes, you'll end up doing it again later but if you put a quick face on the blank then you have an idea which way will be 'up' on the graver.

Also, make a permanent mark on the blank to show which side was 'up' (showing in the notch is how I call it) so you can get the graver back in properly when you need to re-sharpen later. Things like the flat are easy to figure out but for some points...

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Platinum

but when #1 is down which part of the graver is being shaped? I think it's the top of the finished flat graver.

That's right - #1 will shape the top of the graver

Roger B2
Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger B2 View Post

That's right - #1 will shape the top of the graver

Roger B2
Thanks very much. Now I can proceed.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD View Post
Do what I do (so you don't do what I did and make a graver upside down) - put on the large template and grind your face first. Yes, you'll end up doing it again later but if you put a quick face on the blank then you have an idea which way will be 'up' on the graver.

Also, make a permanent mark on the blank to show which side was 'up' (showing in the notch is how I call it) so you can get the graver back in properly when you need to re-sharpen later. Things like the flat are easy to figure out but for some points...
Very good tips. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthe View Post
use the little templete first first for build the principal geometry,follow the numbers of this image:

and after use the large template to make the 45 face of the graver aun de heel,is very simple follow the number in order
I've just received Phil Coggan template. (Thanks to Steve for very fast shipment) The above photo mentioned that this template has 4 sides should be faceted. But Vilts video mentinoed that template has 3 sides.
Will I use the number 2 side which shown on above photo? What for this number 2 side?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan View Post
I've just received Phil Coggan template. (Thanks to Steve for very fast shipment) The above photo mentioned that this template has 4 sides should be faceted. But Vilts video mentinoed that template has 3 sides.
Will I use the number 2 side which shown on above photo? What for this number 2 side?

Hi Sinan,

I have ,only once, used the number 2 side to put a small " flat " at the end of the long grafts ,on the belly of the graver.

SE
Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM
cientiros

Well, I'm posting a reply here because I have a question regarding the "flat" graver. The template (small and large) each has two (2) 1/8 holes with one pin in each piece. Is the extra hole there so you can interchange the 1/8 pin?

Its confusing.

Whats the second hole there for?

=]

A promise I will make is that once I figure all this out, I WILL MAKE VIDEOS EXPLAINING THE PROCESS WITH SPOKEN WORDS, and in English in order to relinquish similar questions. OR, maybe my google and forum search didnt turn out the answer I needed. =]
http://vimeo.com/2164592

smokes.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cientiros View Post
Well, I'm posting a reply here because I have a question regarding the "flat" graver. The template (small and large) each has two (2) 1/8 holes with one pin in each piece. Is the extra hole there so you can interchange the 1/8 pin?

Its confusing.

Whats the second hole there for?
Hi Cientiros, The extra hole is there if you want to change the orientation of the grind to the shank of the graver. Move the pin to the other hole and it will rotate the grind 45 degrees.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 PM
cientiros

Awesome, thank you. Makes sense. I just wasnt sure if the pins were removable.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Copper

Steve,
How do you move the pin to the other location? I have tried hammering it out and using pliers and it doesn't budge. Is it glued in? I wanted to try sharpening my QC HSS Flat gravers that I had previous to buying the Lindsay system.
Thanks!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hi Tonya, Do you mean you'd like to move the pin in the other hole in the flat-knife template? The pin is friction fit in. You can set the template on a bench block or something similar and with a small punch (less that 1/8" diameter) knock the pin out. Align the pin with the other hole than then tap it back in.

Here is a photo of a smaller bench block
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Copper

Is this image correct? Unless I'm missing something 5, so the shorter side of the large template, ends up doing the underside/ heel? Wasn't paying attention and think I have now ground myself a massive heel rather than a face :I
Old 04-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
Is this image correct? Unless I'm missing something 5, so the shorter side of the large template, ends up doing the underside/ heel? Wasn't paying attention and think I have now ground myself a massive heel rather than a face :I

Hi Wapping
Welcome To The Engraving Forum

Side 6 of the large template grinds the face of the graver and side 5 puts a heel .

Take it off and grind the face first.Or grind the face and the heel will become short to the size you want.
SE