Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Copper

Default Which engraving equipment is best?

I am deciding on equipment and I don't want to purchase tools twice or learn how to engrave twice. I want to learn and grow with the equipment. Which would be better a foot pedal or palm air graver? Cost consideration is not a problem. Those who have used other engraving equipment in the past and now use a lindsay air graver, why do you prefer it?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: engraving equipment

To answer the first question;

I prefer the palm control. Mainly because it is much more intuitive for me than trying to co-ordinate my hand, foot and eyes. Now I only need to work with Eye -Hand co-ordination. I also really love its portability. You can carry your entire engraving tool in your pocket and if you have an air or CO2 supply you can engraver ANYWHERE easily. Another advantage is that you can run the palm control off of CO2 tanks It cost about $3 to have a tank filled that you can work all day off of or $6 to have a tank filled you can work a week or two from. No need for a compressor.

To answer the second question;

I engraved for several years with a gravermax and did good work with it. But to do good work with it I had to work with the machine and tune it and add aftermarket parts to make it as smooth as I wanted it. Now with their new machines they have taken care of a lot of that by upgrading to the better parts so you don't have to do it. However, with those machines you still don't get as smooth a start (in my oppinion) as you do with the non-spring Lindsay design. Those machines still have a control box you have to find space for. They also have all the power cord and airhose speghetti to route and keep untangled. THe palm control has one hose.

Another advantage is the power range. With the air graver you can get a very wide range of power by changing out the piston to a lighter or heavier piston. To get the same power range with the other machines you must buy at least the 901 and monarch handpieces.

As I said, I have done very good work with both. But I find it much easier and more intuitive to do good work with the palm control airgraver than any other equipment I have tried (and I have tried them all:D ).

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Platinum

If cost is not a consideration do both controls. Switching between the two is not a big issue and there are advantages to both.

http://www.handgravers.com/Intro.htm

Having used the best others have to offer I believe it's safe to say there isnt any competition. But then there never really was. Airgravers were not designed to compete with the other manufacturers equipment but to take engraving to a higher level than was/is achievable by other tooling systems.

http://www.handgravers.com/air-engraver-evolution.htm

GRS makes good equipment no one can dispute that. As a beginner you will eventually end up buying pieces and parts from them as they have the lions share of the market in accessories which are quite necessary to the trade. But for simplicity of learning and turning out the highest quality work in the shortest time acquiring tools which allow you to spend time engraving rather than tinkering is paramount.

There will be a learning curve in many areas as you no doubt know by reading the posts on this forum. Engraving is not hard once you put all the pieces together and the Lindsay family has a penchant for taking care of it's own. We do an extrordinary amount of work teaching GRS Ngraver and owners of other tools how to get satisfactory results from their equipment and improve their engraving skills. Unless you decide to opt for formal instruction to shortcut the time frame involved all the tricks of the trade are offered free of charge on the website or through the forum and it's members by whatever extent is possible on line. No one else offers as much.

Some will say a tool is a tool and of course there will be strong opinions on either side of the line. I just happen to love my Classic because it allows me to engrave carve and create as fast or faster than I can think. One hand piece does it all. flawlessly.

More questions just ask.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Gold

Very nicely said..... I cant wait to see the new stuff Steve's got in the works.... I sure wish money wasnt an consideration...
Old 12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Gold

Hi Susan

If money is not an issue then always buy the very best you can.

The palm graver is the best there is. It will save you money in the long run. If you buy anything less you will end up trading your way to one of these

If you click on the feedback at the top of the page and read all the endorsments and the names of those people, it gives you an indication of how good it is.

Best wishes and good luck with your endeavours in the engraving world.

Andrew Biggs
Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Platinum

Susan
Dittos to all the other comments Palm Control Rules
Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Platinum

I've used the "other" stuff so: There have been other "posts" that mentioned the "ease" of using Steve's equipment. This is his site however, but you still get an honest opinion. My personal suggestion is Steve's - and get the 3 pistons. You then can engrave from foil to cast iron (so to speak). If you have access to a compressor - then please rent Steve's first. Just put it in your hand, feel how it fits, put the tip down, and give it a gentle push. A harder push gives it a heavier cut. Nothing is better than trying it. If you need to actually buy a compressor and don't care about the noise - go to SEARS and get a small unit for $100 - $120, it will run for an hour before it will turn on and fill the tank (always hit the OFF switch when its full, and you are done for the day - or it will start at 2AM! to refill!!!). If you must have a silent system - then get the BIG co2 tank assy and buy 2 tanks - or bite a bigger bullet and get the Med size SILENTAIRE (with tank). You can use the extra capacity to blow off the work area (at LOW psi!!) - and there is no compressor "pulse").
There is nothing wrong with the GRS Engravers - the difference in cost is minor - but the difference in hold in your hand feel and the actual cutting is major.
Yup - I'm a fan - it cost a bundle - and I don't regret it 1 second. (now, if he'd just sell a package of skill..........)
Old 12-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Platinum

I have both tools, I like each for different reasons.
If I could only choose one tool I would pick the tool with the Palm Control Handle (PCH). The PCH has the advantage of being portable, and it doesn't require as much air.
The additional advantage to using the PCH is you can engrave standing up, in some cases this is nessesary if you are working on a long piece. In fact it is the only tool that I know of that can be used standing up.

One more thing that I noticed right away when I got the PCH was the tool cuts right away when you set it down on the metal and push lightly.
With the foot controlled tool you don't engage the pedal right away as you put the graver to the surface, there is a second or two before you push down. Learning to use the foot pedal is no real problem, it's just like driving a car.
Both tools are the best tools you can buy, you know you have a tool that will do the job when you buy one.
Good luck
Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Administrator

That adjustment screw in the Palmcontrol is a feature for the engraver who wants to set it for heavy handed engraving or for light handed engraving. The screw is preset to what I like to feel for resistance while engraving. In a way the tool and feature teach a person to feel the amount of resistance to use while engraving. Not everyone is the same though, therefore a heavy handed person can set it heavier if desired or it can be set lighter.

Steve
Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Platinum

Talking Re: engraving equipment

the lindsay guy has an unbeatable deal. you can try the tool i think it's for 30 or so days and return if you don't like it. i talked to steve, so far only 1 person ever sent one back! if you buy the foot control, it can always be upgraded later to a palm control. i used grs gravermeister for 30 years and was used to foot pedal. i bought the lindsay foot pedal model. i find it quite to my liking.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Which engraving equipment is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Biggs View Post
Hi Susan

If money is not an issue then always buy the very best you can.

The palm graver is the best there is. It will save you money in the long run. If you buy anything less you will end up trading your way to one of these

If you click on the feedback at the top of the page and read all the endorsments and the names of those people, it gives you an indication of how good it is.

Best wishes and good luck with your endeavours in the engraving world.

Andrew Biggs
Hi Susan,

I agree that the Classic is the best tool you can get.

A Palm Control is always an addition to both the Classic and the Artisan.

If cost is a issue Get a Artisan. Check out Chapi a new engraver that is engraving outstanding work after only a few months.

Here is the link to his practice plates.

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2549

It is a great deal at under $800.00 no one elses equitpment comes even close to the quality and perfomance at that price.

Just check the the names of the engravers and responses in this tread.

We All agree.

AirAmp
Old 01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Platinum

I really like Chapi's artwork.

It's a fact that if you can draw it, you can engrave it. That's the secret behind any engraving tool. Of course, nothing beats the best tool on the market!!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Copper

Correct me if I am wrong....but with the Lindsay AirGravers, specifically the PalmControl, is all that is needed is an air source, regulator and connecting parts?

No more bulky equipment with all those buttons and knobs??
Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Platinum

You are Correct, Totally Portable and now electricity required, I love mine.
David
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong....but with the Lindsay AirGravers, specifically the PalmControl, is all that is needed is an air source, regulator and connecting parts?

No more bulky equipment with all those buttons and knobs??
Yeah
Nothing else. I have a litle 23liter/minute compressor so silent that you can't hear it over the radio and thats the only thng that needs electrics. if i use my co2 cylinder I can engrave enywhere.
Only things you need to know is stroke length, air pressure and the idle adjust.
I love the palm control for most work but sometimes prefere the foot control but because I lend it out a lot have to do everything with the PC and that also works very well. The foot control I use most for stippling, hammering and pushing beads over stone's. For engraving I would not use it that much.

Having a gravemax at work I still bring my Lindsay to work every time
Simple choice for me
Old 09-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Platinum

Susan J

I purchased a complete GRS system, GraverMax with four different Graver handles long before I ever heard of Steve Lindsay.

Now I use Steve's PalmControl that does it all, it is simple to adjust for light to heavy cuts then if you need extra heavy cuts you can change the piston (I have never changed mine).

Save yourself a lot of time and grief and buy the PalmControl (You will sooner or later anyway).

Best Wishes

Ken
Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrutche View Post
Susan J
I purchased a complete GRS system, GraverMax with four different Graver handles long before I ever heard of Steve Lindsay.

Now I use Steve's PalmControl that does it all, it is simple to adjust for light to heavy cuts then if you need extra heavy cuts you can change the piston (I have never changed mine).

Save yourself a lot of time and grief and buy the PalmControl (You will sooner or later anyway).

Ken,

You are correct in saying you'll buy one sooner or later....in my case, it is later.....where were you 5 years ago?? [L O Lin a sad kind of way].

I ordered mine yesterday...now its kinda like waiting for Christmas.

Do you find that all gravers will fit? Like the new ones from "the other" guys".
Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Copper

I am from Denmark so please excuse me if my question is weird. How much equipment do I need to start engraving with air? I have a normal compressor. Today I have ordered a set of sharpner systems, and extra graver steel.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Hi Carsten, For an expensive way to give it a try without air check the thread: http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=4

Here are prices of the AirGravers

Artisan AirGraver handpiece with foot control idle adjust with dual
regulators: $844
http://www.airgraver.com/Artisan-AirGraver.htm
Classic AirGraver handpiece with foot control, idle adjust with dual
regulators $1244
http://www.handgravers.com/Classic.htm
or Classic AirGraver Handpiece with PalmControl $2690
http://www.handgravers.com/PalmControl.htm

The difference between the Classic and Artisan is the stroke collar. The
stroke collar on the Classic provides the power of several sized handpieces
in one. It is similar to setting the back swing of a hammer hitting a punch.
It can be set at a short back swing or longer one. The PSI flow through the
foot pedal or PalmControl controls the power and speed within a given stroke
length setting. Think of it similar to gears in a car. Set it in first gear
(short stroke) and you have good low end delicate control... or set it in
fifth gear and you can cut much deeper than in first gear. We can still cut
delicate lines in fifth gear but it is easier to cut delicate lines in first
gear. If thinking about this analogy with a car, then the Artisan is fixed
in 3rd gear.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Copper

Having seen the excellent work produced by Carl Bleile using the Artisan can anyone show other work on steel produced with a "basic" Artisan set up.I am in the process of ordering an Airgraver and quite frankly at present money is an issue.( all the kids I have to keep!) PBD.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul b.dyer View Post
Having seen the excellent work produced by Carl Bleile using the Artisan can anyone show other work on steel produced with a "basic" Artisan set up.I am in the process of ordering an Airgraver and quite frankly at present money is an issue.( all the kids I have to keep!) PBD.
Hi Paul, Barry Hands has an Artisan and a PalmControl. He did a tutorial some time back titled:
Damascening an Elk with an Artisan http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=972

Another thread that might be helpful is this one:
Artisan vs. Classic http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1303

EngravingArtist.com