Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Gold

Default The Lindsay, or The GRS

If either one of these systems could be had for FREE, which system would you pick, and Why?? I worked with the GRS tools for 4 years before I changed to the Lindsay tool. The why is simple compact design, one tool does it all, smaller foot print, and for me I get better control. Please note I have NO ill feelings for the GRS tools, they are a well designed tool. It Is my personnal choice. It is a Question of Your Personnal choice if the systems were FREE. I've had my Classic for just over a month now, and it still amazes me with its power, and fine control. It seems that my gravers stay sharp longer, and with Steve's Sharpning system touch ups a breeze. I will never return to the other system, Will You ???

JT
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Platinum

Default Re: The Lindsay, or The GRS

Humm
How many airgravers have you seen for sale on the secondary market:smilie5: Nuf said
Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Steel

This is one of those places where you buy the best... the guy that invented it makes the best. For free or for full price, I made the right choice, I'm sure.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

I work with a palm control everyday. Boy I would hate to be without it.

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 03-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Gold

I actually had one of the GRS systems given to me where I work. I used it for about a month, then bought an airgraver with my own money to use instead. The GRS is sitting gathering dust. Meanwhile, the company has been so pleased with the performance of the air graver, they paid me back what I spent for it and paid for another two besides.

Allan
Old 03-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Gold

Good Morning To All,

I to am a Lindsay Convert, I had two Gravermax setups, and sold them both to buy my Classic. At the time I ordered my Air-Graver, I had also ordered a Gravermach. Steve's Classic came in before the Mach so I put it to work. The Mach arriver the next week, and was never taken from the box. It went up for sale the day after it arrived. NO Comparison....nuf said...:yesnod:

The Classic is just that "A Classic"

Cheers, JT
Old 03-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Hy JT,

Had the pleasure and still have to work wit the gravermax.
Had the Lindsey palmcontrole for less then a wheek in my own workshop.
I lost a lot of sleep because of this machine! It does what I want.
The gravermax would probably do the same, but I would have to learn how to ajust the system to my preferences.

Thet Grs system is a great tool, but the Lindsay PC is so much more easy for me that I would go with the Lindsay anytime.

Today I did these negative monogram's. The fine lining's (shading) I could not have done with the Grs system. Must be easy with the right setting's but with the Lindsay it was just the stroke length adjustment.

(these are milimeters)
I love my Lindsay (does that sound ackward to you? Should it be Steve's Lindsay?) This machine neglect's my ignorance and make's me engrave!
Make's me neglect my wife to since last theursday whenn I got mine.
(I'll work on that though )

I've got the advise from stone setter's and engraver's. Thank you all, You where so right!

Greetings,

Daniel
Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Gold

I also worked with grs before Steve's engraver came up for sell. The graver fit my hand like a glove when I first got one over 8 years ago. I still have my little chasing and of course the classic. I have both fitted with the plam control. I am sorry Steve I shouldn't have said that being the the little chasing isn't being made anymore. Of course the reason for that is the classic does it all and the chasing really isn't needed any more. The footprint on the bench is very small with the classic ( one tube), and I have about 12 feet of tubing so I can go from the engraving table to the jewelery bench. Best of both worlds. And the best part of all this is when you call Steve to talk about a graver, you are talking to a world class graver and the guy that makes the classic, which is the best. Jack
Old 03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Steel

for over 38 years i only used push gravers and thought mechanicals were evil and selling out the old ways.then i changed jobs and they really insisted on updating my equipment.i went dragging and complaining then they got me a lindsey after i tried a grs system and prounounced it as too much trouble.i fell in love with my lindsey after one day.i bought the co2 adapter so i could work at home with it now that i won't even touch my push gravers.i would sleep with it but that would make me wierd ,oh well -donna
Old 03-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Platinum

The Lindsay tool, without a doubt.

I've owned an AirGraver since late 2001, in 2002 my wife bought me the Ivory handle for my Classic.

Since then I have purchased the Classic in the Chasing bore with the Palm Control and Burled wood handle.

Don't feel weird Donna, I go through "separation anxiety" every time we go away on vacation.

Tim C
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Gold

I,ve had my Classic for just over a month now, and it still amazes me as to it smooth starts, and power range. My gravers stay sharp longer, and with the Lindsay graver design I get a very smooth cut. I also have the Lindsay Sharpning System which makes graver touch up a breeze. Got to Love That Classic Airgraver. Does anyone have any tips, or suggestions for other uses for the Classic ?? Hay Steve, how about a template for round gravers ???

Cheers,
JT
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Platinum

The day I got my Classic model I took it over to a friend with the Gravermax set up to try it with his air compressor as my compressor was still in transit.
The GRS felt choppy and crude and the handle awkward compared to the ultra smooth power of the Classic. My friend with the GRS was impressed too with the smoothness and said if he did engraving instead of just stone setting stone setting he'd get the Lindsay tool. I was a hand pusher for 20 years before that doing jewelry engraving. It was like being in the lawn care business and going from and old motorless push lawnmower to a three blade blade riding mower with air conditioning. There is no way a hand pusher can compete anymore with power engraving. However when I get some 100 year old trophies in my shop to add another date I am still impressed with some of the hand power visible by some of those old masters who only did engraving and hand pushed it all. It takes a lifetime to master that kind of power and control. Now power is no longer an issue, just control. Another jeweler friend who always envied my rare engraving niche bought the Classic after I let him take mine for a spin. Two years later he still can't engrave so there is more to it than just the tool, like the need to acquire hard won drawing skills. Fortunately my wrist is never sore anymore at the end of the day since I got power three years ago.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Platinum

I only turn my compressor on for the air pressure and not for the Gravemax...
I've got to put the Gravemax and Gravemiser up for sale...
PC runs on CO2 and thats about as good as it gets...
Thanks to Ray Cover for having the Lindsay System at his School that got me too just have to have one...
Jerry
Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Steel

Cool Re: The Lindsay, or The GRS

Hi guys & gals , I am brand new to this or any other forum so please forgive my lack of social graces if I accidently pee in some ones cornflakes or commit some other transgression .Comunication with just the written word (without body language or any other jestures )can often times mess with the intent of the message so don't get your boxers in a bunch if my expressions are out of wack with your interpretations .So....here we go, I have the opertunity to buy a full grs set-up,minus a vise or optics.what are the pros & cons of grs vs. Lindsay?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Pat, Here are links to previous threads on the subject.

Lindsay or Grs system
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1375
Compressor Queries.
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1806
Lindsay PalmControl and the GRS Airtact
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=523
The Lindsay, or The GRS
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1438
PalmControl or Airtact ?
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2840
Lindsay PalmControl - grs Airtact
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=956
EngravingArtist.com
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Steel

Thank you sir,can't ask for a fster rply then that!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Platinum

Life made easy, my definicion of Lindsay Airgraver's.I now have all 4 handpiece's at my school of Artisic Engraving Manassas Virginia.Keep up the good work Steve. J.J.Robberts
Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Steel

I'm new to Engaving so I don't know if I even qualify to answer. I took 'CJ Allan's Motorcycle Engraving Class' and was instructed in the use of differant air assist engravers. For me the Lindsay was by far easier to learn to hold and control. When I got home from class the first thing I orderd was the new 'Nitro G20' and I love it. I am amazed every day with what I can do and how easy it is for me to use.

Robert "Bid" Bidwell
Old 03-20-2018, 12:38 AM
Steel

Hi there,

also for us Jewellers / Gemsetters, I prefer always the Lindsay Airgraver over the Competitiors models.

Great tool! Thanks Steve!

Greetings,
Old 04-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Steel

It's the best there is I purchased a foot control classic aout4 years ago,and I purchased another one about 2 weeks ago with the polmcontrol. Save your extra money and get a palmcontrol you will love it!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Platinum

once you have used the PC ,the price is no longer a issue
thanks steve
Old 04-22-2018, 02:56 AM
Platinum

Hi
it will BE Steve Lindsay tools always.
SE